Part 8

Chapter 5a

CHANI KYNES

Chani was filled with both rage and concern as she watched the people of her Sietch gather their belongings in haste as the whole Sietch prepared to relocate, she had heard of such a 'hajra' from the elders yet had never thought that she would experience it for herself.

Within the Sietch, a storm of blame raged against Inzal, accusing him of endangering everyone with his influence over the youth. Chani, however, held a different view, though it did not absolve him of his actions.

Yet Inzal had only ever spoken his mind, spoken out with facts and science against the idiotic fairytale the other people of the Sietch had for their troubles.

He wished to bring them change and prosperity, and he wished for them to claim all these things through the strength of their own arm rather than relying on and waiting for a messiah.

Her bitterness was palpable, and there was a bitter taste in her mouth as they were forced to abandon their home. How much longer could the Fremen endure this? How many more generations would they be condemned to scuttle like worms into their Sietches while the Empire plundered their resources?

But what could they do now but reaper and make hijra towards a new and abandoned sietch, so they could settle down once more. It would be perilous, and many would die, said the older members of the Sietch, and as she looked around the dining hall, she feared just how many would not live to see the other day.

On the side of the Hall, isolated from the rest, sat about a dozen or so young Fremen, boys and girls near her own age, huddled together yet away from everyone else. Everyone whispered as they eyed them with rage.

They were Inzal's followers. There had been more, yet the others had been quick to separate themselves from the group as tragedy descended upon them. Chani herself sat alone, though that was more of a choice, and she was missing her only friend.

Shishakli was not in the Hall again today; she had been absent from the Hall just like she had been for a week now. Ever since the day Inzal had vanished, defying their Nabi as he went rogue and went out to rescue Fremen, captured by the Harkonen.

Many rejoiced mockingly when word of his actions spread, and it enraged her. Chani and Inzal had never been close, yet she appreciated what he had done for them. He had risked his life to provide for them beyond what they had always had.

More food, more water, better weapons, better technology, and much more; it had all been through his actions, and though they had ended in this unfortunate event, it was so easy for them to turn a blind eye to what he was trying to do. What he had done for them already!

As she thought of that, she felt her appetite vanish as she picked up the bowl of food from the side and walked out of Hall, traversing through the narrow conduits she passed by several guards, much more than usual, and gates as she reached the mouth of SIetch.

And there she found her again, standing under the light of the moon as she sat there staring into the vast desert in front.

Shishakli had been closest to Inzal, the two had practically grew up together, always joined at the hip.

"You were missing from the dining hall," she said as she stood beside her and lowered the bowl.

"Eat," she commanded, and as her friend was about to shake her head, she cut in.

"Eat, or I will tell Stilgar of how you have been spending your nights," and though the man could not punish Shishkali for this, he could ask the guards not to allow her this privilege.