Chapter 6 Muse

CLASH!

A series of clashes and bangs woke Jeongjo from his sickly daze in the morning following his inescapable release from his prison cell. Stumbling across the wooden interior of the pirates' makeshift sleeping quarters, Jeongjo was mildly grateful when his body finally decided to cooperate – lest he could have torn off a hammock or two. The ship creaked rhythmically to the distant, lapping waves, which would have been a peaceful lull to wake up to, had there not been such a ruckus happening onboard The Lonely Whale.

What Jeongjo didn't know was this:

It was the sixth day of the week.

And for a Captain who ruled as fiercely as Yeo Wol does with that iron fist of hers, the sixth day of the week always meant a morning of gruelling and sweat-inducing training for her crew.

Whether or not there was a threat of a coming war, it was in Yeo Wol's principles that they had to be strong, united, and ready for all that was to come. So, on the sixth day of every week, the southern pirates trained diligently under the careful guidance of their Captain.

And Jeongjo was just about to get his first taste of that.

The series of clashes and bangs only grew louder and more prominent as Jeongjo emerged from the sleeping quarters, eyes blinking against the harsh, morning light. Just a mere two feet away from him were two of Yeo Wol's crew members, locked in a swordfight, their blades flashing and clanging like the rest of the crew around them as they tried to get the upper hand against their mates.

The "friendly" sparring almost resembled a drunken brawl, and Jeongjo wouldn't be too surprised if some of the pirates were hungover from their night of drunkard reveries, judging by their sloppy hits and misplaced footing. Suddenly, a yelp was heard as a stocky little man tumbled backwards from the impact of his sparring partner's blade, sending him overboard in a rather undignified heap.

"Man overboard!" His partner bellowed and those within hearing range reacted instantly, rushing over the railing to help their mate. A thick rope was tossed overboard and the pirate emerged minutes later, spluttering and cursing as his partner gave him a rough slap on his back, laughing at his mate's misfortune.

"That ought to wake ye, Roddy. A good dunking, just what the doctor ordered for a sleepy lad!"

A chortle of obnoxious laughter ensued, as Roddy got up and shot them all a withering look before he stalked up towards Jeongjo.

Jeongjo could barely hide the amusement playing at his lips as Roddy slinked towards him, his clothes plastered to his body like a second skin, his sodden clothes leaving behind pools of salt water.

"Blasted Looney," he mumbled. "Clumsy oaf couldn't hit the broadside of a barn."

This time, Jeongjo couldn't stifle his laughter and a snort escaped his lips, causing Roddy to shoot him a glare.

"Got a problem with the way I be lookin', ya scurvy dog?" Roddy growled.

Holding his hands up in mock surrender, Jeongjo stepped aside to let Roddy pass, and the little man finally trudged off and disappeared below the deck – most likely to sulk and change.

Their little interaction quickly became forgotten when a chorus of hoots and shouts sounded from the other end of the main deck. Curious, Jeongjo made his way past the hoards of fighting pirates to join the rest of the crew that had been watching a particularly riveting fight between their Captain and her second mate.

And there she stood, in the heart of the battle, breathing heavily as she eyed her second mate with unwavering confidence. Despite the sweat dripping down her brows, Yeo Wol remained unfazed as they continued sparring back and forth, drawing more cheers from their watching mates.