TWENTY

I didn't go back downstairs yesterday. I actually fell asleep on the phone with Sage. We talked and talked about everything and nothing at the same time until both of us drifted off on the phone.

It hurt to hang up this morning while she was still sleeping, but Dani is picking me up soon to go surfing. We decided on a beach not too far from my house. We also decided to just rent surfboards since the ones we had haven't been used in ages.

Opening my dresser drawer to get dressed, a pink bikini catches my eye, nestled among the other options. With a grin, I snatch it up, feeling the smooth fabric slip through my fingers as I pull it on.

It hugs me snugly, the color popping against my tan skin. A glance in the mirror reveals the way it accentuates my curves, making me feel confident. I tilt my head, adjusting
the small silver hoop in my septum.

Then, I throw on a hoodie and sweatpants since it's chilly outside. Once we're surfing, it won't be too cold though.

As I make my way downstairs, the quiet of the house sinks in, a reminder of my parents' absence. They're likely at work because they didn't want to deal with what happened last night.

A honk outside signals Dani's arrival. I head out and slide into the passenger seat, greeted by her friendly grin.

"Hey girl," she says, a hint of excitement in her voice.

"Hey!"

As Dani drives us to the beach, we catch up a little. The salty breeze teases my senses, and I can't help but feel excited.

When we arrive, the beach is pretty empty, just a few scattered people enjoying the day. Some are already out on the waves, a reminder that surfing is a year-round thing here.

We rent surfboards, anticipation bubbling inside me as I prepare to ride the waves.

"Holy shit, it's cold!" I scream as I shed my sweatpants and sweatshirt, my arms instinctively wrapping around my body for warmth. The cold breeze only amplifies the chill, making me shiver.

I glance at Dani, but her eyes seem fixed on my exposed body, causing a flush to rise to my cheeks.

Caught off guard by her gaze, Dani's eyes meet mine, and she laughs awkwardly before responding.

I shake off the thought, reminding myself that Dani isn't checking me out like that. We're just friends.

"You never surfed in the winter, loser? It's the best waves," Dani teases, her voice playful.

Following my lead, she quickly shed her clothes, revealing a black bikini similar to mine.

"Obviously I surfed in the winter, it's just been a little while. Bully," I retort, rolling my eyes at Dani as she pulls her red hair up into a bun.

"Maybe I just can't resist the thrill of seeing you shiver," she says with a wink before grabbing her surfboard.

I chuckle at her remark, not entirely sure what she meant by it, but I grab my surfboard and follow her lead, eager to hit the waves despite the chill in the air.

Plunging into the water, I couldn't deny that I was freezing, but this was something I grew up doing—it was like riding a bike. I attached the surfboard to my ankle and started paddling towards Dani, who was already ahead of me.

The waves weren't too big, but once you got out there, it was a whole different story.

Soon enough, we both paddled out far from the shore. Despite the cold, the rush of catching a good wave made it all worth it.