TWENTY ONE

I can't believe I'm doing this so late at night. Is it weird? Maybe.

But screw it.

The Uber pulls up to the gate, and I sigh as I step out, dragging my luggage. Surprisingly, the security guard lets me in without much fuss.

I knocked on the sleek, modern doors, my heart pounding in my chest.

Should I leave? No, I can't do that now. I'm already here. Turning back would be way worse.

The door swung open, revealing a tired-looking blonde, likely woken from sleep.

Her blue eyes widened when she saw me, confusion flashed across her face.

"Lilia?" Sage asked, furrowing her brows in disbelief.

Without a second thought, I lunged at her, wrapping my arms around her body in a tight hug, craving the comfort of her familiar embrace.

Sage didn't hesitate. She ushered us both inside and shut the door, enfolding me in her arms and pulling me close to her warm body.

The tears I've been holding in all night streamed down my cheeks as I nestled into Sage's hold, feeling an overwhelming sense of safety wash over me.

I can't shake off the weight of what just happened with my parents. It's like a dagger to my heart, even though I've grown somewhat used to their behavior. Leaving like that, it's new for me. Usually, I tough it out at their place until I can retreat back home.

I can't stop crying, and I find myself clinging to Sage, my head resting on her shoulder since she's so much taller than me. I tasted the saltiness of my tears as they streamed down my cheeks, a bitter reminder of the pain I was feeling.

She doesn't ask anything, thank goodness. We're just here, holding each other in her foyer. She started to sway us and tenderly scratch my back, making me hug her even tighter.

As time passes, my legs start to hurt from standing, and my tears begin to slow down.

I lift my head from Sage's shoulder and find her gaze already on me. She's got this look of confusion and worry, even though she's trying to hide it with a small smile.

Sage's hand leaves my waist and reaches up to touch my cheek softly with her thumb. It's soothing, but I can't help but feel a bit embarrassed about the tear stains on my cheeks and the dark circles under my eyes.

Not exactly my finest moment.

Sage gently tucked a stray hair behind my ear as she peered into my teary eyes. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I just want to know if you're okay. Are you hurt?" she asked, concern evident in her voice as she scanned my body for any signs of injury.

I shook my head, my throat tightening as I struggled to speak without succumbing to another wave of tears.

"My parents—" I began, my voice quivering, "we fought, I left, and they told me to never come back. They said I was a disappointment."

The blondes expression softened completely, her eyes reflecting an emotion I couldn't quite place. "Oh, sweet girl, I'm so sorry," she said softly, pulling me back into her embrace.

Sage eventually led us both up to her bedroom. As I stepped inside, my eyes fell upon the sleek black modern bed positioned in the center, surrounded by trendy artwork that mirrored the style of the rest of her house.

The soft glow of the bedside lamp cast gentle shadows across the room and I noticed the intricate patterns of the artwork adorning Sage's walls, each piece telling its own story.