Part 5 - The Thievery

Song of the Chapter - Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man

After a tiring three day long journey the fresh and always lightly cool weather of Kastelidia hit her face and Kaelie was as content as she could be in this situation. Kyle was just as glad as she was to reach Kastelidia. Kyle's eyes had bags under them. He wasn't getting enough sleep. Once again, she didn't want to know how bad she looked. She was afraid it would be worse than she imagined.

"Just like we talked," warned Kyle. He got past Kaelie. They were in the middle of a local marketplace. There were many poor people around and they were all hoping the random stuff they put on their stand to be sold. The worst were the children. The hope wasn't erased from their eyes yet, they were hoping someone would save them from this life.

Kaelie teared up. These were her people. If she didn't have the scarf covering her face someone would recognize the princess. Their princess who waved at them from a carriage when they were living under these conditions. Their princess who doesn't know them. Their princess who isn't actually a princess.
But she wasn't living that life anymore. The moment she stepped into the woods away from the palace that life was over. She was now the daughter of the Eagle. Someone nobody knew existed. But even a new identity couldn't get rid of the guilt she felt. Still, she had to turn her head away. Like everyone else. As if not looking at them changed something. But she had to. In a way, it was for them. She kept walking away, following Kyle's lead.

Kyle knew a thief around here and he was going to steal the book for them. It was good they had money because thieves wouldn't work for free. When Kyle abruptly stopped so did Kaelie. The door was just as normal as the other ones. A short, clearly overused door made from oak. The wood almost whimpered as Kyle knocked the door. After a short wait, the door was opened by a tall, brown haired guy their age wearing nothing but pants made from expensive and quality fabric. How many times would they be welcomed by half naked men?

Kaelie's question would stay unanswered till the next time they knocked a door. The guy looked at their faces hidden behind the scarves with doubt. Then Kyle pulled his scarf down with worry.

The boy's dimples appeared as a big smile took over his expression. For some reason, he had an appearance Kalie enjoyed. Except for the subtle slyness in his eyes. Of course, she thought instinctively, thief. "Well," the thief said as he leaned his arms on the door frame "what a lovely surprise. Majesty Joelbell, why, please step inside, grace my house with your presence."

Kyle was still just as tense and cautiously walked in. Kaelie followed him in and removed her scarf. She wasn't sure if Kyle would want her to do that but it wasn't important anymore. The thief's unchanged gaze was a sign he didn't recognize her.
"I thought you were staying in the palace longer," the boy said as he threw a bottle of alcohol from one of the shelves to Kyle. Kyle caught the bottle remarkably fast. The boy asked pursing his lips. "Did little Kyle get homesick?"

It was obvious Kyle was angry from a vein pulsing on his neck but he tried to cover it up. "No," he said forcing a grin "I've got a job for you, Luke."
Luke moved his lazy, light brown eyes on Kaelie and pondered. His attention was flaming. "Who's the guest?"
"Kaelie," she answered "my name is Kaelie."

Luke's laugh was mixed with coughs. His laugh was charming. Kaelie could understand why he was such a good thief. First make people trust you, then stab them in the back. Luke could do that easily. As a thief, he must not have the social taboos most people do. This was an enchanting trait to people. It was obvious from expensive jewelry pieces scattered everywhere that he was using his appearance like a weapon. These were definitely not Luke's. "I thought you went to the palace, dude, not that you brought it with you."

Kyle rolled his eyes. Luke was too sincere. More than one should be. "Yes, about that," he hissed "you're going to have to keep your mouth shut."

Luke raised his hands as if he got offended. "You know me, no secrets leaving this place," he acted as if he was locking his mouth and throwing the key away. Then he turned around and went to a different room. Luke's house was incredibly messy and no furniture matched another. It was obvious he was a thief. The living room had one wall covered with books and drinks, the other wall covered with chests stacked on top of another. Kaelie didn't want to know what was inside them. In the middle of the room there was a little table and two couches facing each other. It wasn't supposed to be this messy but every nook and cranny was filled with junk and it made the room look small and cluttered. When Luke finally came back after he put on a black top Kaelie stopped observing the room.