Cowboy Kelly

Kelly took a deep breath as she watched the landscape roll by outside the window, trying to calm her nerves. If this trip didn't go well, she might end up dead. Or worse, she'd end up hurting the person closest to her and never forgive herself.

Either way, it wasn't something she looked forward to. It had to go well, she sighed to herself, watching tumbleweed roll over the pastures as the train chugged along. A knock came on the door, pulling her from her thoughts. She looked at the woman standing in the doorway, waiting.

She had deep hazel eyes and blonde hair with a curl to it

She had deep hazel eyes and blonde hair with a curl to it. If Kelly didn't know any better she'd think she was mysterious. But she did know better. She'd known her since they were kids and Beyoncé had been her next door neighbour.

"Are you ready for this?" Beyoncé asked, her voice now trembling slightly. She moved closer to the other woman, eager to get away from the other travellers on board.

Kelly placed a hand on her thigh and gave a swift nod. She had to be the strong one or Beyoncé would fall apart. Despite her tough exterior, Beyoncé had a lot of feelings and worrying was something she did more often than not. The door closed behind her and she turned the lock so they could be alone. There were more reasons not to leave their cabin, besides they had all that they needed.

"Bey, we'll be fine. You worry too much," Kelly added nodding at the cowboy. It was one quick job, they'd be in and out in no time. Besides if they weren't they'd barely have a chance to find out they'd failed. The sheriff wasn't exactly known for his lenience towards outlaws of their kind.

Beyoncé sighed, removing her hat. She took a seat on the bunk beside Kelly. Kelly could tell the other girl was still nervous as Beyoncé interlaced their fingers together. She couldn't do much to comfort her, but she could talk, and hopefully distract her from all the scenarios she knew her mind was rapidly flitting through.

"Bey once we do this, we can get that horse you've always wanted."

The train rumbled beneath them noisily and Beyoncé forced a smile. She had to at least try for Kelly. This was the woman who was always there for her; from years ago when they'd learned to lasso together. They'd grown together and never left each other's side.

It was Beyoncé's fault that Kelly had been outlawed, and she would never forgive herself for what she had done. Because of that, she had left too, supplies and equipment quickly tossed in a bag, as she chased Kelly down the dirt road until she caught up. Kelly had frowned and told her to go back. But Beyoncé wouldn't budge. She'd stolen a horse for this.

Eventually Kelly accepted Beyoncé as a companion, and the two became outlaws together, doing what they needed to survive. Kelly vowed to protect the younger woman. She wasn't technically outlawed but she couldn't go back.

They were alone on the train as Kelly spoke of horses. She knew Beyoncé had a soft spot for the creatures.

"What did you wanna name them? Reneigh? Chardonneigh? You're so corny, do you know that?" Kelly lightly chuckled. Her laugh was just as warm as her voice.