Ch. 5 - One Thing After Another

I fiddle with my keys before finding the right one to open my apartment door. 

"Ohhhh, look who finally decided to join us!", my sister sarcastically poked at me. I plop on my couch, still not in the right headspace to be on this group videocall right now.

"Hey, has it ever occurred to you that maybe, oh, I don't know, your sister might be busy?", I serve it right back.

"No, actually, that doesn't seem to track", she retorts as she looks up with her fingers on her chin like she's lost in thought.

That one got under my skin a tad.

"Okayyyy, knock it off, you two. JEEZ. How about 'how are you mom, I missed you so much' ", my mom interjects playfully, wanting to shut us up. 

"Haha, I miss you, Mom!...And you too, Luanna", I say sarcastically, wanting to joke around one more time. Luanna squeezes her eyes shut and sticks her tongue out at me. She's wearing a white blazer today which is in contrast with her jet black hair that's neatly tied into a low pony. She's always dressed in her corporate clothing, but don't let that fool you. From the waist down she's for sure sporting flannel pajama pants stained with dorito dust and her favorite gray slippers. Ohhh, the privileges with working from home. The balance she has with her clothing perfectly embodies her personality. It's one or the other. She's five years older than me, but I swear it can feel like the other way around at times. Haha, and I wouldn't change a thing.

"So let's talk about Lou's birthday because unfortunately, I have a lot to get to today and I can't spend all day on the phone", I say, before I realize how rude that might be coming off.

"WHOAAAA, big shot over here's got a lot goin' on!", Luanna's eyebrows raise in shock, her mouth flies open, and laughs. I laugh along with her.

"Haha! Omg, I'm sorry, I'm really busy though and I want to make sure we set things in stone this time!", I reply, "I know how we like to talk."

"Alright, well I'll make it quick then. We all know we usually celebrate my birthday the week before Thanksgiving, but I will actually be out of town this year sooooo....", she leaves us in suspense as if we're chomping at the bit.

"Girl, if you don't hurry up!", I shout. 

"I've decided that I'm going to combine it with Thanksgiving and do it at Mr. Barnes' house!", she hurries her reply to not conjure any opposition from my mom and I. Mr. Barnes is my dad's boss. A man around his late 60's with a wife about the same age and three grown kids. My dad has been the Barnes' family chef for almost twelve years now. They met at a country club my dad worked at prior.

"Wait, you're ok with this, Mom?", I ask, sincerely concerned.

"We already talked about it and...well...she IS turning 30 and  Mr. Barnes had no problem with it, sooo...I don't see why not!", my mom lifts her hand up, already having given up any resistance she would have had before if it weren't for my sister turning three decades old. "And the place is practically a mansion so I'm not worried about bumping elbows with your father!", she laughs.

Luanna and I roll our eyes. "Well, this is definitely going to be different...", I say uncertain of what the event will be like, "but I'm excited for something new this year!". 

"Oof, I was sure you were going to fight back a little!", Luanna says, a bit taken aback, "You moving away might have actually helped you in more ways than one!", she pokes again.

"Shut uuuuup", I counter.

But she was right. I am doing more in my life now than I ever had any vigor to do so before. I'm putting myself out there, no longer being a hermit. No longer being a moping loser that's allowing my circumstances to prohibit me from actually living my life. But there was no way in hell I was ever going to admit that to her. So I roll my eyes facetiously.