2. Scarlet Phantom

2 years ago

     2 years ago...

Breathe.

Exhale.

Repeat.

Dani stared at her reflection mirror in front of her, sitting up straight. Her white hair– whiter if possible, was comb straight and her skin almost matching the color of her hair itself. Not a single splash of colour tainting it. Not even her gray eyes could bolden her appearance. It was like she was fading away.

The turtleneck shirt seemed fitted to her figure, showcasing how thin she was. Based on her health records, the doctors always said she was underweight and advised her parents to make sure she was eating well. It wasn't that she was a picky eater and she did eat as much as her parents would cook for them. She just ended up vomiting them out the moment her stomach says no. It's a nasty habit she didn't know where she picked it up from.

A habit that became worse after her family's death when she was five, now that there's no one to take care of her. She was never put into an orphanage or the foster care system. But the death of Harlan and Carla Fenton not only resurfaced old wounds, it had introduced her to her parents' hidden club; the Phantomania.

At first she never understood why her parents had it in the first place. Dani had thought it was a side effect of her powers, but when the door to her bedroom opened to reveal a whole new world, curiosity led her through it and she was immediately greeted by the sight of a butler and several other people dressed in black and white uniforms.

And they were all ghosts.

Oh, she definitely had thought she was dead.

But as months passed by, the ghosts became her friends— family even. They had taken care of her, providing her everything she needed including school. Robert, the ghost butler had stepped up to become a father figure to her. All of them had stood by her side until she was eight and was ready to officially take over the club.

Dani's fingers brushed against the mirror's surface, feeling it rippled beneath her touch until she could feel the invisible fingers gripping onto her pointer finger.

A napkin whipped onto her hand, cutting her contact from the mirror and she jerked back in surprise. "Robert!" she gasped.

"I'm afraid contact with an unknown spirit is forbidden, Miss Fenton." The butler said.

"An unknown spirit?"

"Indeed. Mirrors act like portals and it's commonly used by ghosts," he explained, "and this mirror harbored an unknown spirit." Robert narrowed his eyes at it. "One that's been watching us for as long as they have."

Dani faced the mirror once more and her eyes widened. She could hear a child-like laughter and a small gray hand waving back at her before it disappeared. "Is it possible to know how long they've been here? Or who they are?" She asked.