¹⁴ letters from home

the rest of the boys filtered into the tent, and went about their own business. i took out my book and read for a while, Squid sat at the foot of my bed, his eyes not moving from my face. every once in a while I'd glance up at him and smile, butterflies coursing through my entire body.

"thank god you two are back to normal." Magnet said. "you've been weird all day, we were starting to get worried." 

the others agreed with him but the two of us just stayed quiet. "how long do we have until lights out?" I asked. "like twenty minutes," Zig answered. "why?"

I dropped my book on my cot and pulled on my shoes. "no reasonnn, I'll be back soon." I ran out of our tent and to Blondie's. "Taytaytaytay! Taylorrrrr!" I rushed in and bounded over to her.

"Hi guys." I greeted the others. "Ladybird, what happened?" The blonde asked me excitedly. I simply grabbed her hand and dragged her to the steps of C tent.

The two of us sat of the stairs and she asked me again what happened. "You're not going to believe this." I grinned. "So Squid was trying to be nice today right. So obviously I ignored him because, well you know."

"he was being a total ass." She interjected. my voice lowered to a whisper. "yeah. and he was calling after me when I was going to the tent right and I asked him what he wanted. He apologised, I said I fancied him he likes me too and then..."

i checked to make no one was listening in, then leaned in. "he.. we... we kissed!" her jaw dropped. "no way!" she squealed, shaking me. "shhh!" I laughed.

"oh my gosh. i can't believe it. that's so cute!" she cooed. "and then ziggy walked in. he didn't see but it ruined the moment." blondie nodded, understanding.

"you can't tell anyone though, Taylor. the warden would kill us."

"I promise I won't." She held out her pinkie finger. I looped mine onto hers. "pinkie promise." she pulled me into a side hug. "i'm so happy for you, ladybird. I mean it's about time he's all you've been talking about for the past month and a half."

I fake gasped. "that's so not true! I talk about Kurt Cobain quite a lot too."

"'sup hooligans." I smiled, entering our tent. I flopped onto Magnet's cot beside him. He, Squid and Zero were playing a card game I taught them. "No.. you need to make those a run of three. Then those one of four... Here, pick that one up and put that down." I instructed.

"Birdie, you can't help him." Squid whined. "you're the best at the game, it ain't fair." Zero nodded, agreeing with the older boy. "don't t be jealous cause I'm her favourite, Squid." Magnet laughed.

"trust me, you definitely ain't her favourite." the brunette smirked. I glared at him, a smile playing at my lips. "ha!" Magnet yelled. "I won!"

"lights out!" A nasally voice yelled. "lights out campers!" X-ray switched the tent light off. "wait- don't turn it off yet. I can't see shit, man." Armpit complained. "just follow the stench of your bed, you'll be fine."

after around half an hour everyone else was asleep and I was laying next to Squid, his arm across my stomach, his face against my neck. "you're kinda cute, you know." I whispered. he sat up, pulling me with him.