124: Silencing The Whisperers

Everyone who is physically able to is now outside the gates of Hilltop waiting for the fight to begin. Well, everyone but the kids. They don't need to be out here for this. They shouldn't be.

Kelly had lowered herself to the ground and placed her hand down to try and detect the herd. She lifted her head and informed us that they are indeed close and that we need to be ready to annihilate.

When the herd started approaching the first thing they did was run into the electric fence Eugene set up. He had wired it to a few car batteries. The geeks now had body parts that were being burnt off, but there's no way It'll stop the herd.

After a few minutes, the herd did get past the electric fence and started coming towards the other barricade we made. This one had spikes so the the geeks would get stuck and hopefully die on impact. 

The herd then separated into two different groups. Aaron then started commanding us all to split up. Our group split just like the herd. I stayed with Daryl. I wanted to make sure if anything happens I can help him and that he'll be able to help me. I can't lose him. Especially not now that we've finally gotten back together.

We walked up to our spiked barricade and I started stabbing geeks with my sword. We've been doing this for a few minutes and I don't even know how many geeks I've slaughtered at this point. But it's a lot.

After a while something wet and sticky hit us. Daryl and I stopped fighting for a moment when Jerry said, "Smells like a christmas tree."

We were hit with sap? Why?

I guess I didn't need to wait too long for my answer. The whisperers started shooting flaming arrows at us and we saw a fire break out near us, and one of the residents of Hilltop started screaming for his life.

"It's like Gasoline!" King-Step-Dad told us.

"Shit." I exclaimed. "We need to go back in!"

Daryl nodded before yelling at everyone. "Back inside! Come on!"

All of us started running towards the gates of Hilltop when the barricade started falling apart. But as we were running the Whisperers shot more flaming arrows. This time they hit the walls of Hilltop, making it impossible to get in this way. 

Thankfully we were able to find another way in and we continued taking out any geek that followed us. But now it's not just the geeks we need to worry about. The whisperers are starting to find their way in our walls as well.

At this point we have killed so many geeks and whisperers that the dead ones were blocking the way towards us for the living ones. I wanted to run for the house to get the kids out of here, but I already saw King-Step-Dad doing that. I know he'll take care of my children. He would put his life on the line for them if he had to.

More flaming arrows were being sent into Hilltop and fires were now taking out everything, but still we continued to fight like our lives depended on it. Because they do.

We were fighting all night before we finally escaped. There was no way we could stay. We had to leave. I ended up escaping with a bigger group. It was Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Dad, Rosita, Jerry, Nabila (Jerry's wife) and a few others. We were lucky that we all had escaped together. 

I'm worried about our kids. I saw King-Step-Dad go into the house for them, but what if they never made it out? I've already lost Sophia. I don't want to lose another kid. I can't. I don't think I'd be able to cope through that.

Rosita walked up to Daryl and I, and started speaking. "Nabila's been asking about her kids. You sure Ezekiel has them?"

"He better." My tone was harsher than it needed to be, but I will not relax until I have my babies in my arms again.