Prologue

The dome of the lantern lay in the sand. Shards of glass were scattered around it. The waves lapped at the shore, taking in glass shards with each breath.

Liam was alone in Airy's cave. Well, not exactly alone, a group of people he was proud to call his friends sat right next to him, they were just...tiny. And sitting, isolated, on a glowing planet. On the Plane.

"Hey!" Liam found himself speaking in a hushed tone despite there being no chance of him getting caught. "Airy's dead!! You're free!! As soon as I can figure out how to work his computer, I can send you all home! We made it." He found himself smiling, his voice becoming more confident.

A giant pop-up of the Plane immediately popped up on Airy's computer, startling Liam a little. He fell backwards, catching himself on his crutch. Heart pounding, he inched himself closer to the screen. His cursor...wherever he took it, that was where he saw.

So that's how he saw us...

Liam's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Scenty bawling her eyes out. He turned the cursor around to see her, lying on the ground next to Bryce, crying. It's like she's really there, right in front of me.

"Sc-Scenty? Are you ok?"

"Thank you!"

It sounded real. She sounded real, like she was right in front of him. It was...uncanny. Sort of, wrong, somehow.

"Backpack, thank you so, so much!! I'm gonna get to go home! I'm gonna see my family and my baby sister and, oh gosh, she's probably not even a baby anymore!!" Scenty laughed as she cried, holding her hands up to her head. "Thank you for freeing us, I believe in you."

Liam kept his eye on the screen, smiling. "Th-thank you, Scenty!! I still have to figure out this computer first, of course, might take a while, but once I do I'll send you all home!"

The eerie glow of the Plane suddenly made the room seem smaller. "Liam?"

Liam snapped back to see Bryce, on the screen, smiling and looking up. "Thanks, buddy. Tell me if there's any way I can help."

Liam smiled and reached out a hand, grabbing the mouse. "I will, don't worry."

This is gonna work.