Epilogue

Scarlett's POV

5 months later

It's the perfect weather for any outdoor activity. Few clouds are scattered across the blue skies. The evening sun shone its rays through the thick trees in the state park, landing on the most luscious blonde hair and beautiful face in the world.

“Come Ada!” Audrey shouted, her voice hoarse towards the end. It still does that from time to time, but I love it.

Our German Shepherd Ada bounded out of the forest, ears flattened against her head and tongue rolling out of the side. She rushed at Audrey, jumping on her chest as Audrey stumbled a little backwards.

“Who's a good girl?” Audrey baby talked to Ada, whose tail began wagging harder with each word Audrey said.

A smile formed on my face. I loved watching Audrey talk to Ada like that. That happy look and bright light in her eyes compared to the woman who almost died a few months back.

“What are you thinking about?” Audrey asked as soon as she rejoined by my side.

I wrapped my arm around her and looked down at her. “You, babygirl.”

“I can't possibly be the only thing you think about.” Audrey's face turns beet red, as always.

“You occupy all my thoughts.” With a grin, I pulled her against me and kissed the top of her head.

Audrey huffed in protest, but I loved annoying her a little. The freshly fallen leaves crunched under our feet as we hiked down the trail towards the camping site. The fresh air of fall drifted through the forest, birds chirped happily around us, and the light sound of water from the lake nearby was a peaceful environment. Coming here on a camping trip with my girlfriend was definitely worth every second.

Or maybe it was worth it because of Audrey. And the fact that she was still here, beside me, alive, and happy.

Ada bounded beside us, the leaves only rustling beneath her paws when we finally arrived at the campsite. Both our friends were there, having come along with us on our little celebratory weekend.

To celebrate Andrew being sentenced to twenty years in prison on charges for kidnapping and attempted murder.

“Finally you guys showed up! We were beginning to think you were making out or something,” Vivian said as she threw a wood log into the crackling fire.

“That would have been nasty,” Carmen commented with a grin.

I rolled my eyes. “Come on guys!”

“Maybe we should have made out,” Audrey said, a playful smile hovering on her lips.

I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. “Would you have liked that?”

“Maybe-”

“Get a room, for fuck’s sake,” Vivian groaned. “Don't you dare.” She glared at Carmen, who raised her hands in surrender with a smirk.

After the teamwork in rescuing Audrey, Vivian and Carmen had gotten along very well. Actually, too well, which was fine, but if anything came out of this more than just a friendship… well, I wouldn't exactly be surprised.

“Audrey and I were actually thinking about taking a dip in the lake, if that's okay with you guys?” I asked, sneaking a glance at Audrey's flushed face.

“Why you gotta ask us? We're not your parents,” Vivian huffed. “But yeah! Totally! Just get here before we get eaten by bears!”

I chuckled. “Don't worry, it won't be long.” I turned towards Audrey. “I'll go grab some towels from the tent.”