Chapter 4

"Katherine? Katherine are you in there? What's going on? Are you hurt?" Katherine's roommate Alice called to her from outside the door. Her British accent was as thick as ever and it made Katherine want to tear her ears out. Katherine sniffed and wiped the tears away from her face and stood up straight in the mirror.

"I'm okay Alice." She called back trying to make her voice sound strong.

"Are you sure? I heard something crash." She called jiggling the door nob. Katherine looked down at the shattered soap holder and cursed her klutzy fingers, she couldn't hold anything in her hands anymore.

"It's fine, I just knocked something off the counter." She said wiping more tears off her face. She stared at herself in the mirror and took a deep steadying breath, her brown curly hair was frizzy and messy from her recent break down and her eyes were red and puffy from crying. Her hands shook like leafs at her side and she had to clench them into fists to make them stop.

She was a train wreck.

"Can I please come in?" Alice called, "This is the third time since you got here that you've done this." Alice knocked on the door which didn't help Katherine's in creasing headache. "Do you need me to finish your article for you? Katherine... I just want to help you."

Katherine could hear the desperation in her roommates voice. She'd only known her for a few weeks but already she was Katherine's best friend. The moment she had stepped off the ship and shook Alice's hand she knew they were going to get along great, Alice was originally from Liver Pool but had recently moved to London to write for the paper. Which was much like Katherine had done except Alice hadn't left anyone behind, all her family lived close.

"N-no, I can finish it." Katherine said and reluctantly and opened the door to the young woman.

Alice was easily one of the most beautiful woman Katherine had ever met, she was Katherine's height with a smaller frame. She had hair that fell over her shoulders that was almost as dark and thick as Jacks, she also had dark brown eyes that were soft and welcoming. Her skin was a gentile cream that stood out against her hair making her look like Snow White. She was a very bubbly woman (most of the time) and was a fantastic reporter.

"Oh goodness." Alice said taking in Katherine's state. "Come here."

Katherine gladly hugged her and let herself start to sob into her shoulder, this had been a very ruff day.

"Is this about Jack again?" Alice asked. Ever since the first time she'd broken down Alice had learned everything about Jack, she was a very good listener and Katherine had found herself pouring her soul to her.

"I-I'm so s-sorry! This is r-ridiculous!" Katherine said clutching Alice as close as possible.

"Shhh is okay, just calm down sweet heart, it's all gonna be okay." Alice said setting her down on her bed. "Try thinking about something else maybe that will help."

"Like what?" Katherine asked thickly and whipped her watery eyes. Katherine was never like this, she hated crying in front of people. Yet she'd cried more times in England than she ever had in her entire life.

"Like the ball that's coming up in two weeks. Lord Bradley seemed quite interested in you." Alice said patting her back. Those words just made Katherine cry harder and Alice cursed herself and apologized. "Ok fine don't think about that, think about how you'll get to write about the ball and every one in England will know your work. It will be even bigger than that story you did about America the first week you were here."

Alice had done it, she made Katherine feel better. A faint smile crossed her lips and she pulled away from her to look at her friend.

"You really think so?" Katherine asked wrapping her arms around herself.

"I know so, it's going to be the best article in the whole world!" Alice said giddily. "But before you go saving the world with your reporting skill we need to find you a proper drees for the occasion!"

Katherine groaned at that. There was another thing about Alice, she loved to make Katherine look pretty. She'd always tell her that when she was younger her family used to be poor. So when she grew up and got a job she had enough money to by the fancy gowns in the windows, but she had only one problem: no one to dress them in. When Katherine had complained that she should just dress herself up she had responded with this: 'It's not proper to be selfish in England, I don't know what you do back in the states but here we strive to help others'

Katherine knew that was bull crap but nevertheless she let Alice by her new clothes. She never liked shopping but she couldn't deny the beautiful princess gowns they had found while shopping and couldn't control her inner princess. Being in England made Katherine feel depressed and happy all at the same time. She was depressed because she was ways from Jack but she was also happy because England really wasn't that bad of a place. She especially loved the castle she got to see and the elegant work on some of the houses around the city. Heck, Katherine felt like a princess. She wasn't going to dance around the fact that the city did something to her, there was something old and legendary abut the place.

"Oh good your smiling!" Alice said grabbing her hands. "Now let's get out of this miserable place and go do something!"

Katherine sniffed and smiled at her friend. Maybe things weren't as bad as it could of been. She felt like the last month or so had gone by in a rush, everything was happening to fast. Maybe that was a good thing.

Maybe that meant she could get back to Jack faster.