Chapter 6

New York 1902

Jack could of been better, but he also could of been worse. Sure Katherine was across the sea on some stupid thing for work but at least he had plenty to distract him from her absence. He'd recently been hired by the Journal to be a cartoonist and all he had to do was turn in a weekly drawing and be done, it payed good enough to get by but he continued to see along with the rest of the boys. Being 21 and a Newsie wasn't as hard as Jack though it would be, he still looked the same as he did when he was 17 so people didn't question.

He was grateful for the boys support in making Jack feel better when he was down about Katherine. So far he'd only gotten one letter from her and it had said:

Dear Jack,
Words can not describe how much I miss you. Hopefully these 10 mouths go by fast, England isn't so bad, just overwhelming. I wrote my first article here a few days ago and It actually made the FRONT PAGE! Already I can taste the jealousy of those bastards back at the Sun. Take that for being a girl! Anyway, hope everything is well with the boys! Send them my love! And Jack, I love you. I have to admit I've shed more than one tear for you over here. I miss you. I love you.

Your favorite reporter, Katherine Plumber.

Jack had instantly written her back telling her everything was fine with the boys and he was proud of her. He wasn't sure how long it took to get a letter to England but everyday he walked by the post office he checked to see if she had written back. He'd never admit this out loud be he wished he had gone with her, he could clearly remember that last night they had shared together before she had left:

"Jack... I don't want to leave you." She said holding him close.

"An I don't want ya ta leave me." He sad pulling her face up to look into her eyes.

"So come with me." She whispered her breath ruffling his hair.

"I can't."

"Then tie me down and don't let me go." She said trapping him in a kiss.

"Gladly."

Jack sighed as he lay in his bunk starring up at the roof ahead. Jack usually tried to keep his mind clean about Katherine but... damn it was hard when she wasn't around to keep him in line. What he wouldn't give to see her angle face again, it was getting harder and harder ever day to keep himself from going crazy.

And he still had 8 months to go.