Chapter 7

"Oooooh Katherine look at that one!" Alice said pointing to the hundredth lantern they had seen that night.

"Very nice, it looks exactly like the rest." Katherine said sarcastically.

Alice smacked her arm in response but didn't say anything, in Katherine's opinion the unique lanterns that dotted the path to the mansion was nothing compared to the place itself. Katherine being one to grow up in such a house was used to everyone hurrying about and making sure she had everything she wanted, but she wasn't used to the sheer beauty of English design. There was something old about the gigantic house that made Katherine feel older too, she was no longer young and inexperienced, she was now Katherine Plumber ready to be the next British Queen.

"I still can't believe this isn't the castle." Katherine muttered as the coach man helped her out of the carriage.

"On no, the cattle is a lot bigger." Alice said stepping out too. "Ready?" She asked offering Katherine her arm.

Katherine took her best friends arm and together they went off together to the fabulous ball.

*****************************

Katherine had attended approximately two balls in her life before the one currently. Her first had been when her older brother had gotten married and her second being her 16th birthday. Both of those times seemed dull compared to the one she was now at, everything seemed to be more fancy in England. The dresses for example were larger and more beautiful than American ones, the food they had here was also different. Crumpets, tea, and blood pudding seemed to be the main thing at the food table and Katherine found herself almost tempted to try the blood pudding. People in England also danced differently then in America, in America it seemed like the men were almost afraid to get to close to the woman so he would hold her a good distance away while they danced. Not in England though, the man would hold Katherine so close they wee nearly touching and she had to lean her head back so she could talk as they waltzed to the full orchestra playing in the back.

Katherine hardly saw Alice through the whole thing they had been so busy dancing with handsome men. It was so much fun Katherine actually forgot about her headache and the tightness of her corset. By the time the house lights dimmed and the music stopped Katherine felt exhausted but very pleased with herself.

"If we could all have your attention Lord Bradley would like a few words of recognition to those who are hear today." A short man with a loud voice called to the crowed of people.

A tall familiar looking man with curly brown hair and dark brown eyes stepped up so everyone could see him. He wore a blue uniform with many metals on the pocket, his whole stature screamed that he was in charge.

"As captain of the royal guard (lol I'm sorry guys but I had to) I have been asked to recognize two beautiful woman that are here with us tonight. With out their hard work and sacrifice the people of London would have no idea of the wars and contentions that have been around. I'm pleased to recognize Miss Alice Nightly and Miss Katherine Plumber of the London Press."

Katherine's heart lept into her throat as the crowed applauded politely, Alice was pushing her toward the front of the crowed but Katherine hardly noticed. She had no idea Bradley was going to do that, she thought they had been invited to observe not to be recognized. Alice herded her up to the makeshift stage to stand next to the man, she stood there awkwardly as the crowed applauded softly. Bradley grabbed her hand and kissed the back of her knuckles sweetly before doing the same to Alice, she could practically feel the excitement of her best friend coming form her. No doubt Alice was loving the attention, Katherine on the other hand wanted to hike up her skirts and run out of the ballroom.

"Good to see you again." Bradley murmured to her. She couldn't even respond because he had once again taken her hand and was leading her off the stage with Alice in tow.

Her relationship with Bradley was a strange one, she'd only met him once before and that had been for an interview. All she knew about him was he was captain of the guard, was single, lived in this big mansion, and was very interested in her and America.

"May I have this dance?" He asked his British accent making Katherine smile.

"Of course." She said and took his hand. He twirled her out into the crowd  and pulled her close until his hand rested on her back and his other was firmly laced with hers. "I didn't know you were going to put me on the spot." Katherine admitted moving her feet to match his longer pace.

"Forgive me for not giving you a heads up but the Prince suggested it would be better if it was a surprise." He said twirling her around.

"Why dose the Prince care?" Katherine asked politely.

Bradley looked like he was contemplating on something and it confused Katherine.

"Well, you are a very important Reporter." He said then glanced around to see if anyone was listening. "Has Alice not told you yet?"

Katherine's eyebrows pulled together.

"Told me what?"

Bradley pursed his lips and stared leading her in the direction of a door way.

"It's best I tell you in secrete." He said stepping away and grabbing her hand. She followed confused at his behavior but curious nonetheless.

He led her into a hallway and then out two crystal doors on to a balcony looking out across the city, it was a breathtaking sight. It was so big the city looked like starts in the sky on a summer night. The balcony stuck out above a flourishing garden filed with roses and bushes complete with a fountain. Bradley shut the door behind them and put a hand to the small of Katherine's back and led her to the edge. She grasped the cement railing and gaped at the sight in front of her, oh how beautiful it was.

"I'm guessing you don't know the true circumstances of the reason you were sent here do you?" He asked keeping a firm arm around her waist.

"Well of course, to write about England and to represent America." She said turning her head to look up at him.

"Yes, that's partly true but not the whole reason." He said his voice going completely business. "Bennett sent you over here to represent America yes, but he also sent you here to help protect the Prince."

Katherine blinked "The Prince? Protect? W-what are you talking about?"

Bradley grabbed her hand and led her to a chair in the corner and sat her down, he crouched down so he could talk to her face to face.

"It sounds strange and I'm guessing Alice didn't tell you because she was told not to. Listen, it's important that you don't tell anyone."

"Tell anyone what?" Katherine asked still thoroughly confused.

"Look, you don't need to worry about anything. All you need to do is continue to write story's about things other than the royal family's life." He said his hands against her legs.

"Wasn't I already doing that?" Katherine asked.

"Yes, and your doing a wonderful job." He said kissing her hand again.

"But... I'm still confused, why will that help protect the Prince?" Katherine asked.

"It's nothing, I shouldn't have told you." He said shaking his head and causing a piece of hair to fall into his eyes. "Just keep being the star American Reporter, your doing great."

Katherine could only blink at him, what the hell was he talking about?

"Your confusing me." She said folding her hands in her lap. Bradley laughed and leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss to the corner of her frowning mouth.

"Alice is a better explainer than me, so don't dwell to much on it." He murmured against her skin. She shivered as he pulled away and got back to his feet. He pulled her back to her feet and hooked an arm around her waist.

"Shall we get back to the ball?"