Chapter 4

4.

If Ethan had gained any “respect” for me, he didn’t show it. Luckily, he didn’t seem to get any worse after the incident. The rest of the day ran by quickly with Abigail by my side. At night, we made camp in a small clearing. Ethan set up most of it with a few snarky remarks towards me. Other than what had occurred at lunch, we didn’t speak about the contest at all.

Camp, although simple, was comfortable. We had food to eat and a fire to keep us warm, so I was happy. Ethan was smart enough to not comment on the fact that a lady would have to sleep on the ground, which I didn’t mind.

The next morning, I woke up perfectly well-rested and we started back on our journey again. After a slight dispute over breakfast about where we were, we continued on our journey in the same fashion as before.

Abigail was fun to be around, and I learned a lot about her life. Her and Ethan had one younger sister, Jessica. Abigail absolutely adored her younger sister and pampered her all the time. Ethan and his twin had worked in the palace for about three years now, and they loved it.

She ranted about how beautiful it was and how nice the cook was when you wanted a late night snack. She told stories of the times they had played pranks on the other servants and I found myself wishing I could work with her.

After a while, she spoke more about her family. Her father was a carpenter and her mother a seamstress. She painted her mother to be a kind, doting woman with an infectious smile. My mind filled with warm hugs and hearty meals.

And all the time, I could see the happiness her life had brought her. She laughed and joked and the smile never left her face. She must have received the infectious smile her mom had, because after a while, I began to smile as well. It was easy to be happy around her, easy to forget I where I was. Why I was there.

That night, as we set up camp and Ethan glared, she told me that he had a girlfriend. Ethan’s scowl grew deeper as she giggled. I began to laugh with her. “Surely he does not!” I exclaimed and he rolled his eyes.

She laughed some more. “But he does! And the worst part…” She made a face. “He is sickeningly sweet around her! It’s disgusting!” We both shrieked and giggled some more as he shoved some food towards us.

“What’s her name, Ethan?” I asked him as we ate. He shot me a dirty look.

“Sophia,” he said grudgingly, but with a certain sweetness. I ‘aw’ed at him and he rolled his eyes again.

“That’s so sweet!” I cooed. We continued to talk about Sophia, or at least Abigail and I did, for a short while before we all fell asleep.

A slight nudge woke me up from my slumber. I opened my eyes to find a blue dragon staring down at me. “Serena!” I whispered, careful not to wake them. I stood up and walked a short distance away from the camp before taking a seat.

Curling up beside me, she laid down as I patted her head. “How has your journey been, girl?” she sighed in contentment. “That’s good.” I let silence fall for a minute.

“I met this girl,” I began out of nowhere. “Abigail. And she’s a sweetheart.” Suddenly, I was unsure of what to say. “It’s weird, you know. I didn’t expect to meet anyone during this trip, but she’s the first person I’ve met—and I don’t know, I just—I think she’s going to become my… friend.”

Silence was my only answer, so I decided to press on. “I don’t really know what to do. What if she thinks I’m annoying? Her brother, Ethan, certainly does. And, well, maybe I am. I mean—what if I’m annoying?” I let out a long sigh.