Chapter 25

25.

The next few days went by exactly like every day I had experienced before. Everything was boring and monotonous. Most days, I wished I had some of Jasmine’s humor or Ethan’s sarcastic replies or Abigail and Mark’s cute flirting to entertain me.

However, I just stood in the kitchen, mixing the pot of sauce to go on the noodles I’d cooked earlier. Megan was chatting about some important guest coming tonight, but I’d long since tuned out.

I tuned in though when I heard her mention me. “I don’t know if I trust Taylor, she sometimes gives the costumers snide remarks, so I was wondering if you would serve him,” she rattled on about how I need to be on my best behavior.

Her idea of best behavior was about my worst behavior before I came here. I shrugged, not really bothered by her request. I was tired, as usual, but I could still work.

I still hadn’t found another job, much to my chagrin. I really needed another dress, as mine were becoming threadbare from the frequent use. She yelled something else, scurrying off, and I continued to work in silence.

I began to mop slowly and with only half my mind in it. Another call from outside made me stop to make a bowl of pasta. “Thanks,” Taylor muttered before running out to feed a customer.

“Danielle! Are you ready?” Megan yelled, running in. I made up another bowl, not rushing too much.

She ran over, fixing my appearance. “Table seven,” she instructed. I nodded, walking out.

I walked over to the table she asked, keeping my head down. I had learned a while ago that looking up was never a good idea. Reaching the table, I set the dish in front of the man that was seated there before turning to leave.

As I did so, a hand shot out and grabbed my wrist. Another creep, I realized dejectedly. I tried to pulled my hand away frantically.

“Danielle,” an all too familiar voice said, making my head snap up and meet the man’s eyes.

“Who are you talking about?” I played dumb as I looked at Ethan. “My name’s—“

“Danielle!” Megan screamed. “Hurry up!” I flinched, looking up to meet his eyes sheepishly.

“Gotta run,” I excused myself hastily and ran back into the kitchen.

“What took you so long?” she asked as I quickly began to scoop out more bowls.

“Sorry,” I grumbled as I threw myself into the task.

By the time the evening had finished, I had wiped the kitchen five times and mopped it three. I’d stacked and restacked all the clean dishes and cleaned all the dirty ones.

“Danielle!” I flinched as my name was yelled, but it was only Megan. “I need to run home, tuck my kids in. There’s only one more guy out there, alright? Will you close the place down?"

I nodded, completely numb. She ran off, leaving me in the empty kitchen. Taylor and Cole had already left for the day, and now I was the only one left. Grabbing a rag, I walked outside cautiously.

I wiped the tables as fast as I could, pushing the chairs back in. Next, I grabbed a broom and swept the floor quickly as well. I hadn’t seen Ethan, so I was hoping he had just gone to sleep.

I walked over the front door, locking it. I let out a relieved sigh. I hadn’t seen him. Turning around, though, I smashed right into the guy I’d been avoiding.

“You know, I was starting to think you didn’t want to see me,” Ethan joked, but neither of us laughed.

“What do you want?” I bluntly asked, walking back into the kitchen. He followed me, much to my annoyance.