Chapter 11

11.

“Well, they liked you,” Gabriel observed a few days later from his seat in the library. “You had nothing to worry about.”

“Yeah, well what if they liked me too much? What if I have to marry you?” I worried before realizing how that sounded. “Oops, no offense.”

He threw his head back, laughing. “None taken.” This was one of the few times we got to hang out alone. The queen had suggested the girls spend some “bonding time” which consisted of sewing together for a few hours.

She’d tried to include me in conversation, but I stayed quiet almost the entire time. One girl, Isabella, actually asked the queen if Gabriel liked her, much to my amusement.

Meanwhile, Gabriel had been loaded up with lessons. He said it was partially because there were so many guests around, but he also hinted there was a big event coming up soon. Either way, he had been loaded with lessons.

Then, everyone had hung out together most of the day yesterday. However, with all the chaos that they brought, I had hardly gotten to say anything to him at all about our meal.

“Anyways, yes, they are hoping I’ll pick you. However, they have other people they’re hoping for too,” he explained.

“Not Isabella?” I asked in horror and he laughed.

“No, never her,” he promised. I joined in the laughter, and as it died down, the room went silent for a rare moment. “Who does Abigail like?”

The question caught me off guard and I stared at him in surprise. “Why do you ask?” I replied with a question of my own.

“I have reasons,” he evaded.

“Gabe,” I whined, imitating one of the girls, I believe Margaret. “Tell me!” He groaned before laughing.

“She’s so annoying!” he complained before remembering what we were talking about. “So who does Abigail like?”

“You promise not to tell?” I asked.

“I promise,” he echoed.

“Mark,” I confessed. His eyes lit up and he let out a cheer.

“Yes!” he yelled, jumping out of his seat. I gave him a confused look and he seemed to realize I had no idea what was going on. “You know who Mark likes?” he prodded and everything made sense.

“Abigail,” I responded. He grinned and I leapt up as well. “Yes!”

“They’re perfect together,” he concluded as we both sat down.

“Exactly,” I agreed. Somewhere in the distance, a clock chimed. It was getting late since we met here after dinner. The sun had long since gone down, and the light came from the many candles around the room.

I laid back on the couch, letting a sigh escape as I closed my eyes. “It’s been busy,” I said, more to myself than anyone else.

“You’re right,” he responded, and I felt the seat beside me dip as he sat on the couch with me.

“I could sleep for years,” I continued.

“Mmhmm,” he sleepily agreed. “They won’t let us, though…”

“Then we should hide,” I decided.

“Yeah,” he agreed.

“But I have to go,” I said after we had sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Can I come?” he begged. As tempted as I was to say yes, I refused. I’d tell him… soon.

---