25- "Ethan, tell me everything about you."

CHAPTER 25

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." ~ Newton's Third law of Motion.

JANUARY 5593AG

"I'm adopted. I live with my foster mother, Katrin Lechner, and her son, Boro. Boro's my best friend too."

Hazel and Ethan were lying beneath an orange blossom tree in his mother's garden, gazing up at the starry night sky.

It was past midnight, and a gentle breeze carried the sweet scent of flowers through Hazel's hair, causing it to dance across Ethan's cheeks. Ethan breathed in the fragrance of lilies emanating from her silver locks.

Hazel had conquered her fear of the dark and used a portal to reach Rose Harper's garden in Kaatim, since they had agreed to meet here the last afternoon.

Hazel had roused a half-asleep and worried Boro to let him know where she was going. He sat up abruptly in his bed, staring at her with wide eyes.

"Boro," she said, shaking his arm. "Boro, wake up."

"What... Hazel?" He looked at her blearily.

"If mother wakes up, make an excuse for me if she notices I'm gone. But I'll be back before then."

"But where are you going?" He widened his eyes, fully awake now.

"To Kaatim."

"Kaatim?" He hissed. "At this hour? Are you serious?"

"Please, please, I'll be back before she checks my room." She hurried out of his bedroom before he could protest or stop her, and portaled to the garden.

Ethan arrived ten minutes past midnight. And now an hour had slipped by as they talked, reclining on the cool grass under the brilliant moonlight. The stars were twinkling, especially bright tonight.

"Our house is in the castle garden. It's an unusual place for a home, I know, but the Queen wanted to keep mother close after father passed away defending the King in a battle against the Dark Army," she explained, stealing a glance at Ethan's face.

"So, I was right. You are royalty," Ethan remarked, studying her expression, but she kept her gaze fixed on the dark sky.

"No, I'm not royalty, but I'm connected to the Royal Family of Dragonite through my mother's close relationship with Queen Celine Riedl. She is the Queen's consort and practically lives in the castle."

She turned to glance at Ethan, who was now staring at the sky.

"The King and Queen are incredibly kind and generous, but above them are the Dragon Alpha and Mother Alpha. They are the true authority in Dragonite; they establish the laws, and every dragon in our kingdom falls under their dominion. Even my dragon, Beegal, was a gift from King Alexander. Beegal started as a hatchling from the royal stables. Although he hasn't grown much and is very silly, I love him," she said affectionately.

Ethan listened closely, as though he wanted nothing more than Hazel to keep talking all night.

"Since mother is usually busy, Boro and I are very close," Hazel began, her voice softening with fondness. "He's two years older than me, but we practically grew up together. We even go to the same school."

She paused, taking a deep breath, and Ethan shot her a curious sideways glance.

"I'm seventeen and you're...?"

"Fifteen." She answered.

"That makes me two years older than you as well," he remarked casually.

Hazel processed this information for a moment before asking, "When's your birthday?"