Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Aunt Nelly was mom's best friend, until 'the incident.' Cue ominous music. Mom told me that's when Aunt Nelly grew incredibly distant. Since the incident happened long before I could remember (as in, when I was a fetus), all I know was it broke Aunt Nelly. She grew empty and remained that way for years. Oblivious to the world around her and engrossing herself in her work. I only recognize Aunt Nelly through pictures I was shown and stories I was told. Grandmother Katarina and Aunt Nelly's mom, Helena were best friends too, they lived together and depended on one another with everything.

"Ariel," Aunt Nelly addresses quietly. "I wasn't sure if you'd know who I was."

She has a sing-song sort of voice, acknowledging me in the way you'd believe she gets in touch with long-lost BFFs' daughters on a daily basis. I don't trust her at all. This isn't some fairy tale, she has a reason to be here.

"Of course I know," I reply. "Uhm, are my parents with you by any chance?"

What I really wanted to say was, "What are you doing here after 18 years of avoiding my mother?" But that would seem a bit rude, something I seem to be getting better at lately.

She gives me a sad, pitiful look. "Yes, they're on their way as fast as possible."

"Great!" I say, then I stop. "Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?" I ask.

"Because," she says, "You are not staying here to see them."

"Excuse me?"

"Look, Ariel, you're here because you saw a ghost, correct?"

I narrow my eyes at her, is she having me on or does she truly believe I saw what I saw?

"I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic and am on the road to recovery," I say. Even I don't believe my own words. Should I have said I was seeing things? Did schizophrenic sound too scientific?

Aunt Nelly snorts.

"You and I both very well know that is not true."

"So enlighten me!" I say through clenched teeth. "Why do you think I attacked by Mr. Ghostie?"

"Demonic abilities."

"Well, that's not very nice, is it?"

She sighs at me, exasperated, then begins talking complete junk.

"You have demon-blood in your veins, Ariel, somewhere in your line of ancestry was a demon. Those descendants develop elemental powers, shown by physical alterations like colored bits of hair or becomes a spirit-seer, shown by a changed eye color." She squints down at my face, checking. "Like you."

I try to interrupt her nonsense. "Wha-"

"Let me finish, Ariel. Most people develop their powers on their 16 birthdays, but on rare cases where the development is somewhat interrupted, it comes back on the 18th birthday. What you are is called a Cambion. Offspring of a demon."

I blink at her, once. Then twice.

"Are you on drugs, Aunt Nelly? Because I can get you help if you want."

She splutters and gapes at me. "I am telling you the truth."

Aunt Nelly plops onto the bed beside me. "I know you believe me. There's no other explanation for this."

I shrug. "I could be hallucinating all this right now." I look up at Aunt Nelly and she shakes her head. "The faster you accept this, the faster we can get on with life."

I am reluctant at believing what she is telling me, but I've had a hell of a morning so it's either this or a being nutcase. I attempt to wrap my mind around this concept.