Chapter 41

Chapter 41

I whirl towards the wall, and slam my own ankle sideways against it with all my might. Again and again, until I am sure a bone must have fractured a little on the inside, but the six metal buckles holding me back all shatter into little crumbs of silver. I could get used to this strength.

"Keep her occupied," I breathe to Elliot. "Please."

Another burst of dust flies out. Aunt Nelly tries to attack with her energy bolts, though it's pretty hard to hit a spirit, especially when your blind. She even tries to remove the dust with an energy hold, but it doesn't work.

"GARNET!" I scream. Can she hear me through a soundproof room? "HURRY!"

I do have energy to fight with, but Aunt Nelly is still a strong first-generation. It would be impossible to use her own ability against her.

Suddenly, there is static in my ears.

«Ariel!»

They've done it!

«What's going on up there?" I quickly demand.

«The James guy is down,» Jesse replies. «Not sure what the spirits did to him, might be dead. I can't get the energy binds off.»

«Listen, I'll deal with the binds. I need you to destr-»

I cry out, a bolt hitting my side while I wasn't paying attention.

"What have you done, Ariel?" Aunt Nelly roars.

I snarl, clutching my arm. "What I should have done the first day I arrived."

Extending an arm, I use the heat and fire churning in my veins to solidify into real magma on my fingertips. I run at Aunt Nelly, closing my hands around her arms. Her scream is real and full of pain, shocking me off with energy before I can do anything else.

"That is it!" she screams.

An intense wave of energy crashes off her as she stomps her foot down. I am thrown away, but reach out and close my hold around a random box, throwing it with telekinesis at Aunt Nelly's head. She ducks, and I swing up onto my feet.

I have to disable her somehow. In a way that she can't use energy to stop.

With a burst of inspiration, I hold out a palm and let water begin to gather into a ball above my skin. It takes longer that I would like, since it is the first time I've even attempted the water ability. Before Aunt Nelly can try anything else, I direct the water blob right at her head. It closes around her face, drowning her from any oxygen. She claws at the water, trying to throw it off. I keep it there, struggling to stop the water from separating.

«Ariel, what's going on down there?» Jesse's voice comes through, panicked.

I block him out.

"How do I free Vee?" I demand.

Her eyes meet mine, completely defiant. Like I'd tell you, they seem to say.

I send water gushing up her nose, and hold the bubble. I don't know how long she can survive without air. I don't really care either way. I make my way over to Vee and rip off the restraints. She collapses forward, and when I reach to catch her with one hand, a shock goes through me.

I almost drop the water bubble when the zap goes from my head to my toes. As soon as the stinging shock passes, Vee bolts up, gasping as if she just woke from a nightmare. She scrambles back, sweat glistening on her dark forehead.

"What happened?" Vee rasps.

"I'll explain later. Up, up!"

Getting to her feet, Vee spots Aunt Nelly choking against a wall. I ignore her gasp, and reach towards her anklet.