CHAPTER 28 - THE TORMENTING NEEDLE OF PAIN

As I woke up, the room was still enveloped in darkness, leaving me disoriented about the time. Had I slept so short that the morning sun had yet to rise? It felt like I had been asleep for ages.

Sitting up, a soft rustling sound to my left caught me off guard and I let out a startled shriek.

"Easy now, it's just me," Egon's voice pierced through the darkness, calming me instantly. His hands found mine and the familiar sparkles soothed me.

I tried to see him in the pitch-black room, but my eyes failed to adjust. "What time is it?" I asked, surprised by the darkness.

"It's midday. I came to see if you'd like some food," Egon replied as he took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"M-midday?" I stuttered, bewildered. "Then why is it so dark?"

"The doctor told me you needed to stay in the darkness as much as possible," Egon explained. "I've covered the windows to keep the light out."

I was taken aback by his strict obedience to the doctor's orders, but I guess I should have known. "I'm sure the doctor didn't mean for me to live like a vampire. A little light won't hurt," I protested.

Egon remained resolute. "He should have specified. Until then, this is how It will be."

Suddenly, my stomach grumbled, and I felt Egon shift beside me. "I brought you some food. I wasn't sure what you'd fancy, so I made some eggs, fresh fruit, yoghurt, toasted some bread and I brewed a cup of tea," he explained as I felt something heavy placed on my lap, realizing it must be the tray laden with the food he described. However, I couldn't see any of it in the darkness.

Reaching out tentatively, I searched for a fork to pick at the fruit, but my fingers seemed to find the bowl of yoghurt instead. "I can't see a thing," I grumbled in frustration.

Egon sighed. "I'm still getting used to your human senses. They're really terrible."

"Apologies for the inconvenience," I muttered sarcastically.

He chuckled at my remark but didn't engage further. "Here, let me help you," he offered.

I realized his intention and protested, "You're not going to feed me."

"You need to eat, don't you? I can see just fine in the dark. I can help," he insisted.

"I'd prefer not to be fed, thank you," I retorted.

He laughed softly. "Well, you don't have much of a choice."

"Can't you just light a candle?"

"No," he replied, his determination unwavering.

"Just a small one?" I proposed, disregarding his stubbornness.

"The doctor said you need to be in the dark," he insisted.

"Most of the time, not all the time. I'm sure a little candlelight won't hurt," I reasoned.

Egon remained firm. "Not happening. Now, open your mouth."

"You know what? I'm not hungry anymore," I declared, but my stomach betrayed me with another loud growl.

"Clearly," Egon stated, his voice tinged with amusement. "Now, come on, open your mouth."

But I remained steadfast. "You're not going to feed me."

Egon's patience wore thin. "Esmara, as your mate, it's my responsibility to take care of you."

"Yes, when necessary. But I can manage just fine if you just light a candle. A small one, that's all," I countered.

Egon let out a frustrated sigh, but when my stomach growled again, he rose from the bed and started rummaging around the room.