CHAPTER 10 - FEAST OF DECEPTIONS

Standing before the mirror, I couldn't contain my excitement. For the first time in my life, I found myself beautiful.

My eyes seemed to sparkle as I stared at my reflection, looking at the breathtaking dress I was wearing.

The dress was white, adorned with light-yellow patterns of small blooming flowers. The fabric, though heavy in my hands, seemed to caress my skin like a loving hug. The satin skirt draped around me, its soft waves cascading gracefully to the floor. The sheer, long sleeves held a subtle puff, adding a touch of elegance. 

The corset embraced my figure, it accentuated my curves in a way that made me feel regal. A slim, golden ribbon, encircled my waist. Its colour matches seamlessly with the fine embroidery of the dress.

The gown hugged my body flawlessly, as though it were designed especially for me. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever owned.

My eyes fell upon the note in my hand. I couldn't read the graceful letters decorating it. While I was able to decipher a handful of words, I was never educated in reading extensive sentences. 

Nevertheless, I knew the intention behind such a splendid gift and I had my hopes about the sender's identity.

Four days prior, Rolf had appeared at my door. He greeted me with his familiar beaming smile. He came by with an invitation, extended to us humans for the annual feast among the Werewolves that they held every month. This particular event promised to be grand, given the presence of the Alpha King himself.

Apparently, such festivities were sacred to the wolves, seldom shared with humans. Alpha Galdric, driven by the desire to mend relations, had graciously extended this invitation to us.

I spent days fretting over what to wear to an event like this. Egon would be there and that thought alone made my stomach flutter with nerves. I wanted to leave a positive impression on him. For him to find me as captivating as I found him.

It was foolish, I know. He was a stranger, a shifter even, but more significantly, their King. As if he had time to spare a thought for me.

Still, I clung to the hope that the dress and the attached note were his gifts.

For days, I had complained about not having anything to wear. I lost all my clothes along with my other belongings in Terrassen. Upon our arrival in Nebelwald, the Werewolves had provided each of us with three new garments. While functional, the dresses I received appeared very dull with their grey, brown and black colours. Hardly suitable for a celebration of this scale.

The wrapped package that I found on my doorstep this morning felt like a gift from the heavens. My name, which was elegantly inscribed on the attached note, was one of the few things I could read. That's how I knew it was intended for me.

"Esmara, are you ready?" Marielle's gentle voice echoed through the room as she knocked on my door.

"Yes, come in," I called out, my voice tinged with nervousness. 

The door creaked open, revealing Marielle's smiling face. Her eyes widened with awe as they met mine. "Esmara, you look absolutely stunning," she breathed. Her compliment painted a soft flush across my cheeks.

Marielle stepped inside and revealed her own attire. She was draped in a flowing burgundy gown that hung gracefully around her body. Its rounded neckline cascaded over her shoulders, exuding an air of elegance that suited her perfectly.

"You look really beautiful too," I said, returning the sentiment. In addition to my own dress, my father, Marielle and Tauriel had also received an invitation and suitable clothing.