CHAPTER 30 - WE'LL BE SERVING BLOOD TONIGHT

My gaze was fixed on the ceiling, I couldn't shake the feeling of euphoria that engulfed me. The smile on my face seemed permanent, impossible to shake off. It felt like I was floating, soaring high above the ground, never able to come back down.

Egon and I had spent some time wrapped in each other's arms, enjoying the peaceful aftermath of our intimacy. However, our private moment was suddenly interrupted when his eyes turned white, indicating someone was reaching out to him through his mind link.

Reluctantly, he informed me that he had to leave as they were expecting him in the dining hall. I could see in his eyes that he didn't want to go, but his responsibilities demanded it.

After quickly freshening up, he fetched some food for me before heading to the dining hall for Lord Blackbridge's dinner. My mind wandered to the forthcoming negotiations that would take place between Egon and Lord Blackbridge. I hoped that Egon would find a way to help the people of the camp.

I wondered what Egon might offer in exchange. Based on what Runelda had told me about her father, I knew that Lord Blackbridge was not an easy man to negotiate with.

Lost in my thoughts, a sudden knock at the door startled me. Panic flared up immediately, yet I questioned if it was misplaced like last time. Maybe it was Pepin stopping by again to check up on me. Still, I couldn't risk opening the door, anxious that it might be someone who shouldn't know I was here.

Egon had mentioned that the quarters he occupied, were reserved for Lord Blackbridge's guests, and strangers weren't allowed to come in without Egon's permission. Only a few selected warriors were stationed nearby, the rest of his quarters should be empty now. Even Leif and Rolf were expected at tonight's dinner.

A second knock echoed through the room, accompanied by a muffled voice from outside, however, my hearing wasn't sharp enough to make out the words.

In a rush, I scrambled off the bed, glancing around to find a hiding spot. However, before I could make up my mind, the door slowly creaked open to reveal Mrs Percy's face. At first, her expression seemed apologetic, but it quickly morphed into one of simmering rage upon seeing me standing there.

"You!" she snapped, her eyes blazing with fury as she marched into the room. "What do you think you're doing in the Alpha King's quarters? I've been searching for you for hours."

Her eyes swept over me, taking in my appearance. "Look at what you're wearing. It's—" she faltered, but her voice trailed off as realization dawned on her.

"I can explain," I interjected quickly as I desperately searched for an explanation that wouldn't give away my cover.

However, Mrs Percy cut me off before I could speak any further, her voice dripping with anger. "This is a disgrace!" she exclaimed, her voice growing more intense as she approached me. "To offer yourself to the Alpha King like a cheap whore!"

I stood frozen, my mind struggling to process her accusations.

"What did you think? If you warm the Alpha's bed, you no longer have to lift a hand?!" she continued, her voice dripping with disdain.

"No, that's not what happened," I managed to utter, but I found myself at a loss for words in the face of her accusations. How could I provide her with an answer without revealing my true identity?

"Don't even bother trying to explain," she scoffed as she seized my arm in a firm grip. "You can come with me, Lord Blackbridge wants a word with you. You can try and wriggle your way out of this mess with him."

"No, I can't leave," I protested as desperation surged within me. But Mrs Percy paid no heed to my pleas, dragging me along with a strength that surpassed mine. Even though she was an Omega, she was still a shifter. I was no match for her.