Part 2~ The Outcast

Rex was sitting on a log scribbling something into a leather book when someone called his name. He quickly put away his book in his satchel and stood up.

" Anakin said that we are to do morning patrol of the Outer Territory without him. The King needs him." Ahsoka said walking up to him with her horse, " It'll just be me and you and some other men."

" Sounds good." Rex answered with a curt nod. "I'll get Jesse and Hardcase to take the South side of the Kingdom, you and I will take the North-"

" Actually, I was thinking you and I could patrol the South and Jesse and Hardcase the North." Ahsoka suggested. She hoped he hadn't caught on to what she was thinking. Thankfully he didn't.

" If that is what you want." Rex said slowly looking at her quizzically. He adjusted his cloak to hug him tighter.

" Great!" She answered swinging onto her horse, "Our groups will meet in the middle, I'll meet you at the gate." With that she trotted off before he could say anything. Rex stared after her for a few moments before he got on his horse to inform the men. It didn't take long for them to get situated and patrolling.

Ahsoka waited until they were away from the Kingdom's gate and made sure that Rex was bit more ahead of everyone else before turning to one of the knights, " We'll be taking the shortcut through the woods, be sure you and your men keep this pace. If you do, we'll meet at the halfway point and we'll join you on the rest of the patrol." Hardcase, whom Ahsoka had talked to, gave a nod of his head and gave orders while Ahsoka trotted over to catch up with Rex.

" Rex." She beckoned for him to follow her into the woods, " I've given orders to the men, we'll meet at the halfway point."

Rex nodded and quickly followed her into the woods. They rode in silence. A comfortable silence. When Ahsoka felt like they had gone far enough into the woods she opened up the topic she wanted to talk about with him, " Do you miss Fives?" She looked at him, her head tilted.

Rex took a deep breath and looked at her briefly before keeping his gaze on the rocky, muddy road ahead, " Yes, I do. It's difficult with him not around." His brow knotted," It's harder I guess because Echo isn't here either. Wait, we're patrolling the South side-" Rex looked at her with wide eyes in realization.

Ahsoka looked at him and nodded her head, " I wanted to take you to see Fives. Perhaps there's more to what he was trying to say. I'd personally like to find out and speak with him. It's not safe to talk about these kinds of things in the Kingdom so I thought, why not go?"

" Ahsoka," Rex began. He pulled gently on the reigns to stop his horse. He looked at her square in the eyes, " you know the risk, don't you? If the King found out that we're doing this we could be court martialed, or worse. You know the law-"

" If I know the risk, why do you think I'm doing this?" Ahsoka questioned him. " You and I know very well the King Palpatine is not the real King. Duchess Amidala is. When her parents died Palpatine forcefully took it upon himself to crown himself king. Look at what the decisions he has made. Look at what they had done to the people of Courasant. Look at the injustice." Her features soften and her voice was set in a gentler tone, " This is a risk that is worth taking." Ahsoka clicked her tongue to get her horse to move.

They rode in a heavy silence. It wasn't long till they saw some smoke. As they drew near, they saw a small tent and a fire pit. Ahsoka and Rex got off their horses and tied them up on a tree. Rex looked at the ground. " This place is a swamp." He mumbled to himself but walked on. At least the small tent was on a bit of a hill, so he didn't have to worry about standing in water and mud. A sudden snap of a twig made the two turn their heads to the left. Emerging from the forest was a man with an arm loud of sticks. He wore beige woolen pants, knee length boots, a dark blue linen long-sleeved shirt and an even darker blue tunic that reached almost to his knees. The leather belt he wore had a small knife attached to it. The man's face was worn and pale and in need of a good shave and haircut. The man went about his work not realizing that there were two people staring right at him. Ahsoka and Rex looked at one another before walking up to him. Once they were close enough Rex cleared his throat. The man turned around in surprise. His face relaxed slightly upon realizing who it was. " I wish I could say I'm happy to see you, but given the circumstances," Fives waved his arms around before crossing them across his chest. " I wish you didn't come." He gave a cold little scoff.