Twenty Five

When I wake up I find myself alone in Rafe's bed. Great, so after all that he still went out and got up to god knows what. I feel sick as I catch a glimpse of myself in his mirror, he just killed a person and I hooked up with him? What was wrong with me?

Throwing his covers from me I grab my shoes and creep towards the door. I don't know who's home and if I'll get caught sneaking out but I just make a run for it. I practically fly down the stairs and am out of the house in seconds. Once I get a safe enough distance I stop to catch my breath and finally slip my shoes on before I decide to meet back up with my friends. The plan was if we got separated we'd all meet at Kie's dad's shop.

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

They're already there when I arrive. JJ is standing watch by one of the windows and is out of the door as soon as he sees me. "Nar," he sighs out in relief throwing his arms around me. "What happened?" He asks pulling away to look me over. I shake my head as we head inside where I receive similar greetings from my other two best friends.

"We're sorry we left you but-"

"I get it, we agreed if I didn't get out you guys should run." I cut Kie off knowing they were right to leave me behind and I didn't hold any bad feelings about it. "Who caught you?" They ask as I sigh and take a seat. "Rafe." JJ jumps up on his feet whilst all of their eyes widen. "What?" They're staring at me in disbelief. "Did he hurt you?" I shake my head. "No. He was suspicious but I played it off. I ran with the scared story. I don't know if he believed me but he didn't say anything and then I had to wait it out in the guest room." I look at them feeling guilty about my lie. Maybe I should just tell them, I'm sure they'd understand the only reason I did it this time was to distract him. I don't tell them though because deep inside that's still a lie, that's not the only reason I hooked up with him again and I know I should be ashamed about that.

We settle into a silence soon, all of us exhausted and worn out from the day. Kie and Pope find themselves laying across some of the booths whilst JJ and I stay sat in different seats. The silence continues a while until the two of them are asleep and JJ turns to me. "You're something stupid... does that have anything to do with Rafe?" I look up startled for a second, he's watching me intently and I think he already knows the answer. I glance at Pope and Kie to ensure they're actually asleep because I don't want them to hear this.

"Yeah.." I answer lamely avoiding his eye. "What the hell Nar?" I bite my tongue as he gets up and walks over to me. "I'm sorry. It was when we weren't talking. I was walking home and he saw me. He offered me a ride and then the next day I was at a kook party and I don't know... he walked me home and..." I don't need to finish that sentence because he gets what I mean. Even though nothing happened between us that night that's when it started I think.

"You're mackin on him?" I shake my head at his outrage. "No! Not anymore." He makes a face of disgust. "I know JJ okay, I know." He starts pacing before he turns to me, "tonight?" I don't know what to answer, I should just tell him the truth. He's the one I trust the most anyways, he might be disgusted but he wouldn't hold it against me. Not like the others would. "No." So much for the truth. The word just slipped out before I could stop it.

"Well, maybe a bit. But that was just to keep him from figuring out what we were doing." He shakes his head in disbelief. "You're crazy Nar." I nod, "I know." He sighs and then sits beside me. "Do you like him?" I think a second and then shake my head. "No, he's the actual crazy one. What happened between us was a mistake and I hate him. He stole my mom's jewellery." I admit. "What?" I nod and try to not cry about it again. "When I let him stay the night, he took some of my things, including my mom's stuff."

"I'll kill him." I smile in appreciation and grab JJ to pull him back down beside me. "Don't do that." He sits and slides his arm around my shoulder. "Don't tell the others." I mumble so softly I'm sure he didn't hear it. He squeezes my shoulder so to let me know he did. "Me and you against the world Nar." He whispers as I nestle into his side and close my eyes. "Me and you against the world J."

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

When we wake up the next morning we conclude the police hadn't found John B yet and so we decide to try and find him. The vibe is weird, off between Pope and Kie. Pope tells us that he's gonna go to get the gas for the boat and she follows him out and tries to apologise or something for something but Pope doesn't even give her the chance. JJ and I share a glance as we watch it play out, neither of us know anything and so with identical knowing looks we nod at each other and I go after Pope while he hangs back.

"Hey Po wait a sec, I'll come with." I say running out after them and hopping on the back of his bike, once I do he takes off. He doesn't say anything and I don't pry as we're on our journey. Even when we get to his dad's shop neither of us say anything and I wait by the bike as he fills the cans up.

"Look at you. Like some damn street hood out here stealing gas from me. My own blood." I don't know what to do when his dad comes out and confronts him. I feel as though I should intervene, as though this wasn't going to go well but I also feel like it's not my place to get in between them.

"I'm not stealing."

"Stop lyin'. I saw it in your damn hand."

"My friend is in trouble, and I need to help him. John B did not k*ll anybody." Pope tells Hayward who scoffs. "Says who?" I suppose I can see where he's coming from but he should know that Pope wouldn't lie about something like this. "I'm supposed to believe you? After you ran out on your interview? Shit, boy, get in the house." He reaches for Pope who pulls away harshly. "No." He says firmly. "Oh, you a man now? Huh? You wanna have a go at it with me? Is that it?"

"I'm walking out of here with these damn cans. You not gettin' in my way." I'm honestly surprised that Pope stands his ground but I honestly think I should actually intervene now before he does something he regrets.

"Oh, I'm gettin' in your way. And one day, you might be able to whoop my ass, but it ain't today." I'm too late Heyward pushes Pope who in turn returns the favour. I watch for a moment as they fight not knowing what I can do. Pope lands a punch but is unable to do it again. His fists shake as he raises them and his dad stares him down. "You want to hit me?" He asks his son, his voice breaking. I feel so bad for the both of them.

It's then I move towards Pope, he's already reached down for the cans. "I don't got time for this. I gotta help my friend." He says before walking in my direction. "Yeah, yeah, you just go ahead. Yeah, you take everything, son. You already have!" I pass Pope as he tries to drown his father's words out. "You're an ungrateful son of a bitch, Pope."

"I'm so sorry Mr Heyward. I'll pay for the gas." I say pulling my purse out and handing him what we owed. He shakes his head. "I promise I'll look out for him. I'm sorry again." I say lamely as he stares at me. He nods, "you're the only one with your head screwed on right Nara. Don't let them ruin your future too."

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

"Pope." I finally speak as he pulls over. He shakes his head. "I don't wanna talk about it Nara." I nod and grab his hand. "Okay, you don't have to but are you okay?" He nods but I see the tears he's failing to hold back. I sigh and wrap my arms around him. He shudders before burying his face in my neck. "I'm so sorry Pope. Everything will be okay." All I can for is offer him lame words of encouragement that I hardly believe myself until he lets it all out.

"I'm sorry." I shake my head as I wipe the few stray tears for him. "Don't be sorry." I assure him as he straightens himself out. "I'm sure everything will work out for us eventually Pope. Your dad loves you, he's one of the best fathers I've ever seen out here. He'll understand." He nods and he just confesses everything to me. About how last night he confessed to Kie, how she rejected him and how hurt he was now. "Look I'm not gonna say it doesn't suck or it won't hurt but maybe she's just not the one for you Pope. I know you can't help how you feel but she's not the only girl in the world. You'll find someone who is right for you who loves you the way you deserve to be loved, I promise you. You're a great guy Pope, probably the best guy I know and any girl would seriously be beyond lucky to be with you."

He scoffs and tries to play my words off but I reiterate to him that I'm being serious and so he nods and hugs me once more before we get back on the bike and back on track to the boat.