Chapter 03 | Acafellas

„Well, Mr Hudson, everything checks out. She is a strong, healthy dog," said Dr Martin, scratching Joy behind her ear, „Just maybe cut down on the treats a little, yeah?"

Joy's yearly check-up always went well. She was well-fed and full of energy, so there was nothing to be concerned about if you don't count the mischievous streak that she inherited from her owner. Liam smiled at the kind middle-aged vet and thanked him before hooking the leash in Joy's harness and leaving the office.

After every visit, they took a long walk outside to enjoy the nice afternoon, the dog's spotted ears twitching every time a squirrel ran by. As they neared the ice cream truck they often frequented, Liam recognized a familiar voice ordering the frozen treat. Her back was turned to him so it was almost too easy to sneak up on her.

„Today's a cheat day, huh?" he asked, leaning on the side of the truck with a cheeky smile, „Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

The blonde jumped up at the sudden appearance of the Hudson boy, clutching her arm to her chest as she glared at him. But soon, the pair broke out in laughter, confusing the staff of the truck.

„Uh, miss?" called out a girl, who couldn't be older than thirteen, from the window, „What flavour did you want?"

„Sorry. Vanilla, please," Quinn rolled her eyes when Liam scoffed beside her, „Got a problem with that?"

„No, not at all. It's just that you're boring, Fabray," the cheerleader opened her mouth to fire back, but before she could, Liam turned to the ice cream seller with a charming smile, „I'll take a scoop of Rocky Road, please, and a bowl of whipped cream for this one here."

Joy perked up at the sound of her favourite treat, her tail wagging excitedly as she marched in place. Quinn cooed at the adorable sight and knelt down to properly greet the dog, missing the way Liam sneakily paid for their order before peppering some sprinkles at the top of her cone.

„Will this suffice as a peace offering?" he chuckled at the way Quinn's eyes lit up when she saw the rainbow drops slowly melting in the warm autumn sun, but that soon dimmed as the blonde frowned, „What's wrong? It's vanilla with extra sprinkles, just like you like it."

„I shouldn't eat so much carbs," Quinn got up from the ground, dusting off her skirt, „Coach Sylvester needs me in perfect shape."

„Oh, then you have nothing to worry about," even though a small smile broke through, Liam could still see the insecurities clouding her mind, „Come on, one ice cream and we can take a walk in the park, huh? It'll cancel each other out."

Joy yapped happily from her spot beside them, whipped cream all over her snout, and Quinn finally let herself grin fully as she nodded.

„Okay, gimme that," she snatched the cone and strutted away, Joy at her heels and a blush on her cheeks as she heard Liam laughing behind her.

-|-

Glee was... a mess. At least that's what Liam gathered so far as he stood back while the rest practised choreography... if that is what you want to call it. The kids had enthusiasm and some talent, but most of them couldn't stand each other and they would rather claw their eyes out for a solo.

„Five, six, seven, eight," Mr Shue had his back turned to them and he was shouting the instructions, his arm raised in the air, „Step and step. Step and step. And turn it around."

Brad the pianist tried to keep up with them, but it seemed that even he didn't know what kind of song Mr. Shue had in mind. All of them had bored looks on their faces and were probably cursing their decision to join as they clapped out of the beat for the fifth time.