Chapter Five - Searching for the Stars

Stella laid on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her mother, Queen Alice sat next to her, running her slim fingers through Stella's silky, long, black hair. It had only been a couple of days since Stella turned three. Alice smiled down at her daughter, beginning to sing softly. This was a song that Alice had been singing since she was a child herself.

Somewhere way up in the sky, stars are shining bright tonight

Hidden in the outer space, all alone and singing loud and clear

One little stars shining bright

Two little stars shining bright

Three little stars way up in the sky

One by one they peer from the sky so clear

Hidden neath the clouds of space

One by one they hide together again

Stella joined in, her little voice was loud and clear.

    Four little stars shining bright

    Five little stars shining bright

    Six little stars glistening in the night

    One by one they peer from the sky so clear

    Hidden neath the clouds of space

    One by one they hide together again

    Ten little stars shining bright

    Nine little stars shining bright

    Eight little stars shining in the sky.

    Seven little stars shining bright

    Six little stars shining bright

    Five little stars shining in the sky.

    Four little stars shining bright

    Three little stars shining bright

    Two little stars shining in the sky

    One little star shining so bright, All alone in the sky tonight,

    All alone in the sky tonight

Stella closed her little eyes and fell asleep quickly. Alice kissed the top of her head before leaving. Closing the door, she whispered goodnight.

********

I stood in place, looking at the people sitting around the table. Amadeus had stood up on my arrival and watched me as I walked over to the place that was set between him and the King. My mother sat across from me on the other side of the my father. She wore a beautiful, long, wavy dress that was a dark red color. My father wore a dark blue outfit that I hadn't seen before. Had he been saving it for a special occasion like this all along? One of the servants pulled out a chair and pushed it in as I sat down. I looked to both of my sides, seeing Amadeus and my father. I smiled at my mother.

"You look dazzling tonight princess Stella." Amadeus commented, his eyes on me.

"You do look beautiful my daughter," my father quickly added smiling. Of course. They had both commented on what I looked like.

"Thank you," I said looking at both of them with a smile. My mother stayed silent, probably guessing my thoughts. She seemed to understand me more than my father. I looked at the table setting in front of me. It was the normal dinner setting. An open spot for the plate and the fancy silverware. More than one spoon and fork was 'always' needed per setting in this castle. I still thought that one of each was enough.