Chapter One - The Time of Dancing

The black pen of The Writer slid over the smooth, clean pages. Words covered the top of the page, beginning the story of a girl. The story of a girl who was not real. A girl who was only a word on paper.

"It was a cold, wintery day. Snow swirled outside of the tall, proud windows of the castle. The bitter cold had fogged the windows from the outside. There was a knock on the large wooden door of the castle. A small bundle rested on the step of the castle. Wrapped in a blanket of gold with silver lining on the edges lay a tiny girl. She had short, black hair, long for a baby. Her eyes were a deep purple, like a jewel. The large doors opened just a crack, revealing the face of the Princess of the castle, Alice. Her orange hair fell free and her eyes glowed in the darkness. She picked up the small baby quickly, bringing her inside. Alice was immediately surrounded by guards.

"What are you doing Princess?" they asked, their loud voice booming in the large entrance hall. Alice rolled her eyes. This was crazy. She wasn't even able to open the castle door for a second. When she took even one step outside she was in trouble.

"Oh. I was doing nothing," she said sarcastically. The guards expressions stayed firm and emotionless.

"You need to get back to your room now,"  said the head guard, not taking his eyes off her.

"No. I need to take care of this baby," Alice replied. "She was left on our steps all alone in the storm." She started to walk away, hugging the bundle tightly. The guards stepped in front of her.

"Your room. You are not safe wandering alone." She stared at them hard. The one in charge returned her hard stare. They weren't going to budge.

"Then you come with me. Then I will be safe," she challenged, holding her gaze. The guards sighed. Their curious eyes moved to the small baby in Alice's arms. What had they all just gotten into?

The Writer could create anything he wanted. He could make this baby do anything he wished. He had so much power. He knew that this girl was special. She was to be a Princess, taken into the royal family all because of him.

**

My name is Stella. I'm a Princess of Agaria and I live in a drafty, old castle with lots of windows. My best friend and lady's maid, Ellasandra, sat in my bedroom, waiting for me to come back into the room. I was to go to a ball that night, a ball where I was the center of attention. Ella wouldn't want any other job. She loved it the way it was. At least that was what she told me. I believed her. Ella was in charge of making sure that I wore the correct thing, and tonight I would be dancing. I have had a history of not really enjoying dancing.

"Are you almost ready to come out?" Ella yelled from the door. They had to get me dressed for the ball. Ella had chosen a dress for me as a surprise, and this was the first time I would see it. There was a loud sigh.

"Yes. I'm coming. Hold your horses." The door opened a crack. "Come on in," I finally replied. Ella nodded and hurried into the bathroom carrying the dress. I was sitting on a chair.

"Please close your eyes," Ella said. She waited a moment. "Ready for the dress?" She asked. I replied with a slow nod. I quickly stood up and stripped down, still keeping my eyes closed. As the dress was thrown over me, the sleeves slid down onto my shoulders. The fabric was slightly cold and a little itchy. Ella zipped up the dress and stood back, looking at me. "Open your eyes," she squealed happily.

I slowly opened my eyes to see Ella's big smile and my reflection in the mirror. I saw myself wearing a flowing, sparkling white dress. The sides were wide around the waist and ruffled with glittering white material.  Lacy, see-through fabric made patterns around the bottom. The dress was made of different types of layers. The bottom of the dress faded into a light purple shimmer. Ella placed a purple crystal necklace around my neck and applied  a dark, but bright, red lipstick and no other makeup. My long,shining, black hair hung free from restraint, down past my waist in large curls. She placed a jeweled silver headband to keep it back from my face.