Chapter 53: Caiman

'I can cast anything, I know I can. I mean, I mean I can. I'm not struggling in classes, I mean I can do the spellwork. I can do it. I can cast anything. I can do it.'

-------------------------------------------------------

Adrian slipped back into Hogwarts like rain on a sunny day.

Unsuspecting, invisible in the daylight, and unfathomably sad.

The welcome back feast was a somber affair, candles lit with a dim glow as Albus Dumbledore stood at his pedestal with a grave expression. Dolores Umbridge looked content and gleeful, wand resting on the table in front of her, as if the concerns of those beneath her were pleasantries.

"It is a pleasure to welcome you all back from your holiday break, although all news cannot be joyful in such a trying time." Dumbledore started, his voice resonating throughout the hall.

"It has come to my attention, that once more in our halls, a student has failed to join us, and forever will be unable to. Suzie Forestar, a fourth year Slytherin student, was found murdered in her home by dark forces."

Dolores Umbridge leaned forward obviously, as if moving for her wand. Dumbledore ignored it with grace.

"I find it my duty, as a headmaster and as a human being, to consider the danger we live in, and remember those who have passed far too soon beyond our help and wishes."

'Get rid of her!'

Adrian flinched, head held low.

"And I want to remind you all, to stay vigilant. And to remember those, who have left us."

'Let her starve to death.'

Adrian slowly lifted his head, breathed in and then out.

He felt peace, the small slow acceptance of something much greater than him. A sense of humbleness in wake of something much larger than him; a sense of comprehension and enlightenment a blind man receives seeing the sun the first time.

Through the Great Hall Adrian's eyes met silver.

Adrian inhaled.

'They are only rats.'

Adrian exhaled.

Luna Lovegood was crying quietly.

______________________________________

Educational Decree Number Twenty-Six.

All students are hereby banned from conversing with teachers outside of academic assignment.

_____________________________________

"Luna, what do you think about destiny?"

"The concept? Well, I think it's a bit silly. Isn't destiny made by people?"

"What about prophecies?"

"I don't believe in them."