𝟰𝟬. 𝗛𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸 (𝗪𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗪𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗲)

Mia looked up as Mark walked into the room. She glared. "Where were you?" She asked.

"I was sleeping. My phone. It was on silent. What happened?" Mark questioned.

Mia sighed. "She slipped in daycare and hit her head. She lost consciousness for about five minutes. She's had a CT scan and she's fine. You didn't even answer your pager."

Mark looked to her. Feeling nothing but guilt about what had happened with Lexie. And he needed to not tell Mia. He couldn't lose her.

"I'm sorry baby. I was in a deep sleep. Why don't you go and get some sleep?" Mark told her.

Mia shook her head. "No I'm not leaving her. I promised myself I'd never let her be in a hospital bed without me by her side until she left. I'm fine. I had a couple of hours earlier," she said.

Mia couldn't put her finger on it, but she felt as though Mark was acting different. He was shifty. She looked to him. "Are you okay?"

Mark nodded. He kissed her lips and smiled. "I'm fine. Page me if you need anything," he told her as he turned and walked off.

"You gonna answer this time?" Mia said as she watched him leave. She couldn't help but feel like something had happened.

****

Mia reluctantly left Grace to work. Arizona Robbins had offered to stay with Grace. And she had promised to page Mia if anything happened.

Bailey walked over. She looked to them. "Okay, we gotta move fast, people, so focus. Uh, O'Malley, the pit. Karev, you're with me. We've got a surgery. Stevens, the clinic budget is due., Grey twins, wait for the chief at the trauma bay. Yang other Grey you two charting and pit," she told them.

"What?"

"Why?"

"Both of us?" Meredith asked. Knowing it was still tense between her and Cristina after their row.

Bailey nodded. "Yes, both of you. I don't know what. I don't know why. Just go," she told them.

****

Mia and Esmè walked out to the ambulance bay. Owen looked to Webber. "So what do we have?" He asked.

"Caldwell..."

Mia's eyes widened. "As in the prison?" She asked.

Webber nodded. He turned to Owen. "Yeah. You've read up on our V. I. P. ?"

"Yes."

"Multiple stab wounds, badly beaten ... he'll have guards with him at all times. Cuffs stay on, leg irons stay on. Watch your syringes, sharps and pins. I don't want any accidents," Webber told them. "And he's here. You four are my team. No interns. I want to keep this as quiet as possible. Get him in and out quickly, patch him up and get him his way."

Esmè looked to Webber. "Sir. What's "P. D. R."?"
She asked as she shared a look with Mia.

"Get him out of trauma as fast as you can. Those guards are going to attract a lot of attention," Webber said.

"Uh, sir, it's stamped P. D. R. What is P. D. R.?" Grace asked.

"Prisoner ... death row."

The paramedics unload the man from their rig. The prisoner smiled. "How's everybody doing this morning?"

****

In the trauma room, the doctors were working on the prisoner.

Mia looked to him. "Mr. Dunn, can you hear me?" She asked. She knew she was apprehensive about this. But she needed to do her job.