Chapter 2

-FLASHBACK-

Eight Years Ago

"Keep your head up. Becky!" Dad exclaimed. "People want to see you!"

"Leave her alone, Richard. She's shy. She doesn't like looking into people's eyes." Mom defended.

Dad gave her a dirty look. "It's because of you. She's shy because of you. Both of you can't look into someone's eyes, without getting scared of something.

"But-" I started.

"Shut it,Shy." Dad sneered. "You're so annoying."

"Can we leave?" Mom requested. "There are too many people here. Becky will get scared."

"Scared, of what?!" Dad yelled, attracting the attention of everyone in the party hall. "It's like something bad will happen when you look at someone! Why are you guys like this?! I didn't marry you, because you're shy!"

"Richard!" Mom whisper-yelled. "Out." She took my hand. and Dad's arm. dragging us out.

When we got outside. Dad scolded Mom. "Nicole, you're hiding something from me, aren't you? Why're you such a scaredy-cat?"

"What would I be hiding?" Mom asked. "I have nothing to hide. "

"You're weird!" Dad threw his arms up in frustration. "It's like you're shy around everyone, except for me and Becky. Do you have a psychological problem I don't know about? Fear of people?"

"I have nothing like that. Richard." Mom replied. "Becky, get inside the car."

I worriedly got into the car. I had no idea what was wrong with me or my mom. Why is she so scared to look into peoples' eyes? Why am I so scared to look into peoples' eyes?

"Just drive," Mom told Dad.

The drive was silent. and no one said a word. I spotted Dad giving Mom dirty looks, but I ignored both of them.

Soon enough, we pulled up by our small townhouse. There was a man outside, standing by our door.

"Hi." Dad smiled at the man, completely changing personalities. "Do I know you?"

He shook his head. "I just moved next door. I'm your new neighbor. I was leaving cookies by your door, but I saw you came in time."

"Oh." Dad said, shaking the man's hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Richard Armstrong. This is my wife Nicole."

The man introduced himself as Patrick. then turned to me. "Hi there, little one. What's your name?"

I looked down. "Becky A-"

"Look into his eyes and tell him Becky." Dad demanded.

I hesitantly looked up at him, seeing Patrick's hazel eyes. "My name is Becky,Becky Armstrong." Suddenly. I gasped and stopped talking.

There was a voice in my head. It was Patrick's voice. My passport is fake. and I am an illegal immigrant.

"You're an illegal immigrant?" I asked Patrick.

His eyes widened and he stared at me, then looked at my parents. "W- What? Why would I be an illegal immigrant?"

Mom picked me up and brought me into the house. "We'll see you later,Patrick. Nice meeting you."

Echoes of Secrets [Freenbecky]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें