When I'm With You, I Only See You

I, Tay, and Book. The three of us met at a downtown cafe. It was a fairly spacious franchise chain cafe, but there were not many people because we met early in the morning. The only guests were a couple of college students who occasionally went in and out of the smoking room.

Book and I remained silent as we faced each other. Tay, who had gone to get a drink with a vibrating bell, returned to his seat just in time.

Book had an iced Americano, I had a cold green tea latte, and Tay had a strawberry drink with ice cream floating on top. It was accompanied by aoney bread topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with syrup. Tay was doing something unusual by cutting bread with a knife. The whipped cream, which had already been piled on top, had reached the end of its useful life.

“… I’ll do it.”

Tay gently handed me the knife when I extended my hand. When I turned my gaze to the side, Tay crossed one leg with his arms crossed. He turned his head to the side and tilted his head halfway.

He does that to avoid making even the slightest eye contact with Book. I cut the already half-pressed and dead bread. I didn’t want to hear the sound of the bowl and the knife rubbing together. Book, who had previously remained silent, finally opened his mouth. He looked at me and Tay in turn, then asked carefully.

“… Does Tay always do all of these things?”

I was glad I did the cutting. Because I didn’t have to make eye contact with Book. Tay poked me in the side with his elbow. I thought it meant to answer, so I raised my head and said, “Uh-yeah.” But it was the spoon that came in front of me. Tay scooped up strawberry-flavored ice cream with a small spoon that was too small for him and shoved it into my mouth.

“Ah.”

“No… Don’t do this in front of Book.”

Normally I would have taken it, but not today. I stopped Tay while glancing at Book. At that moment, I made eye contact with Book. He opened his mouth wide and made a puzzled face, looking at Tay and then at me.

“Aren’t you too attached right now?”

Did we…? I just assumed it was because Tay was so large and so close to me. Tay ignored Book's words. He couldn’t keep his expression of boredom from showing. Tay brought my drink to me with that expression on his face. Then I ate ice cream. It just tasted like strawberry ice cream from the store. It was sweet and delicious.

“You’re such a punk.”

And then, a curse slipped away from Book's lips.

“Aren’t you supposed to deny it now? Right now… this is crazy… What are you doing in front of me!”

“Hey, Book.”

When Book raised his voice, Tay called him out.

“You know everything anyway.”

Book trembled in response to the terrifyingly calm voice. Fuck, development…? After looking down at my feet, I reached out to the bread placed in front of me picked it up with my bare hands, and ate it.

“Use a fork.”

When I carefully handed one over, Book said, “You eat it!” While chewing the bread in his mouth.

“I, I tried not to say anything. I thought it was weird. I wondered why you and Tay were suddenly hanging out like this.”

“Let’s just say the conclusion.”

“Don’t interrupt me!”

Tay laughed lightly at Book's reaction. I immediately looked at Tay. Was Book funny…? My eyebrows were slightly wrinkled, but then I lowered my head to maintain my usual expression. Tay's hand wiggled closer, grabbed, and then released my hand. The awkwardness of the hand that had lost its grip was startling.