Chapter 14.

I couldn't understand why my brother decided to come to my birthday. It was unexpected. He even gave me a gift I wouldn't have expected from him before. But his mood swings had happened before, and there was no guarantee that he would always communicate normally with me. Now I'm sixteen. I plunged headlong into my studies. I had to think about my future. The exhibition was supposed to take place at the end of November, and I was finishing the last couple of paintings. I have already looked around the hall. It was small and cozy. The question remained whether to put the paintings on easels or hang them on the walls. Easels would have created more of a lamp-like quality, but the room with warm light was already inviting.

"It wouldn't turn out too sweet, although there can never be too much comfort..." I thought.

On the other hand, if the paintings were hanging, then an additional composition would be needed for decoration. And I also had to think about the composition. There wasn't much time left, and I had to decide what to do best.

"Da-ad, I need help," I said a few days before the exhibition, because nothing came to mind.

"Mmm?" He responded, raising his head from the rose bushes that he had so carefully trimmed. Claude was given the weekend, so Dad decided to work in the greenhouse himself.

"Do you think about the exhibition?"

"Yeah. The problem is that I like the wall idea better. But then what else needs to be added?"

"I have one idea. You need to find vases that are not too big to hold a flower in each. In your paintings, flowers are people. In the second part of the hall you can create an installation. There will be your landscapes from your lessons, mainly the seasons. This means you can put a small cylindrical podium in the corner between two walls. Divide it into four parts and decorate each part at a different time of year. Add artificial moss, for example. And then everyone will be able to stand on it and take a photo between the two paintings."

He patted me on the head, as he always did.

"You know, Chris, you deserve a good life," he said quietly and added, "and it's my duty as a father to help you. You're trying really hard, and that's great. You are a talented, beautiful daddy's little girl and you will always remain such for me."

He kissed the top of my head.

"Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me."

I was so moved that I even shed a tear, which I secretly wiped away so that dad wouldn't see.

***

Sunday has arrived. Today was supposed to be the opening of the exhibition.

Your paintings will hang in the exhibition hall for a whole week. I can't believe it. Christina, you are so cool!" I mentally said to myself.

I was very nervous. Dad has already taken care of everything, and yesterday we arranged the vases. All that remained was to cut the flowers and buy additional samples that were missing. However, we started doing this in the morning. Yesterday we sent out invitations to all our local friends. We didn't know how many of them would come, but we hoped. Exhibition by an unknown teenage artist. If I were an adult, I probably wouldn't go. That's why I was worried.

It was 2pm on the clock. It's time to open up. Today I was wearing a black little dress. The very thing that every woman should have, as Coco Chanel said, an ash-colored bolero, boots of the same color with ribbon laces on the heels. My hair was styled in soft waves and had two thin Celtic-style braids that met at the back of my head. Dad came up to me and hugged me:

"Prepare for any outcome, my daughter. Your speech is due in an hour. And no matter how many people come, you should look confident."

"I don't promise, but I'll try very hard," I said, showing him my fist, palm forward.

Dad smiled. Then somebody called him and he said that he would most likely miss my speech. Of course, I was upset, but he said that there was something urgent at home, and I didn't dare detain him.

There really weren't many people, at least when the time came for the speech. But among them there were still our acquaintances, and they were adults. This means that curiosity really got the better of them. An employee of the hall asked those gathered to pay attention to me. I was shy, but tried to look natural. They gave me a microphone.

"Good day everyone! Thank you for coming. For those who don't know, my name is Christina. And what you see around you is my work. This is my first exhibition. And I am grateful that the organizers gave me the opportunity to show my paintings here over the next week. I'll be glad if you like them."

"Can I ask you?" A pretty middle-aged woman approached me. "You don't sell them? I liked the one with the rose."

"Unfortunately, not yet," I threw up my hands.

"Well, I hope this isn't the last time we see each other. Perhaps you will change your mind," she shook my hand and walked away.

Iput on my coat, said goodbye to the employees and went to the exit. And then near the entrance I saw HIM. From surprise, I stood rooted to the spot.

"Hello to you too," the corner of his mouth lifted.

"What have you forgotten here?" I asked suspiciously.

"I couldn't miss such an important event. Besides, your works are quite good, and their style is interesting. But in general, I was waiting for you. Father said that grandmother was not well, so we would have to return home."

"Okay, whatever you say," I had nothing to object to. We took a taxi home and got there very quickly.