Chapter 15.

"What's happened?" I asked.

"Grandma is very ill. We are waiting for a doctor and also a notary. Come in, take off your clothes. Hi John, have you just arrived?"

"Yes, I came to look at the paintings and immediately came here."

Aela smiled at him:

"Lately you've been coming here often."

"Well, I couldn't miss this. Even I became curious what the result of her efforts would be," he pointed his finger at me.

"Hey, be careful!" I warned him.

"I'll go, it seems we have a lot to do," Aela said and left.

"Is it strange that this happened to our grandmother? I haven't been gone not so long," my brother asked.

"Yes, but for the last week she hasn't been feeling well and almost didn't go out for lunch and dinner. I heard she had some health problems, but she certainly didn't tell me about them."

"I see," said John.

"I need to change clothes. Tell dad to call me when he needs me."

"Okay," he responded reluctantly.

About an hour passed, but dad still didn't come in. I decided to go out on my own and have some tea. I went down. There was no one in the dining room. I went into the kitchen, Marco, as always, did not leave the stove. He treated me to sugar cookies that melted in my mouth. After that, I decided to walk around the house. The door to grandma's room was tightly closed, and a rumble could be heard from behind it.

"Okay, Christina, this doesn't concern you," I told myself.

I left the house. On the street I met the cleaner Marie and the gardener Claude. They were talking about something quietly. I came closer.

"If they look for me, I will go to the gazebo in the forest."

"Okay," they responded simultaneously.

November turned out to be dry. There wasn't much rain, but it was still cooler than usual. I put on sneakers especially for such a walk, and now the leaves rustled softly under my feet. Passing by the ravine, I paused on the bridge. Once upon a time, my grandmother's lapdog injured her paw here because of John. He and Amber also set my skirt on fire one time. But that was a long time ago and so unimportant. I was alive and well, and today I opened the first exhibition of my paintings. This is incredible. From a little defenseless girl she grew into a big, brave girl.

"Don't exaggerate, you still have to grow and grow," an inner voice reminded me.

Of course. I wonder why he came? Although, did it really matter? The main thing is that he showed up at all. Every time I saw him my heart sank.

I moved on, the trees were so sad and empty without leaves. As empty as my life without him.

"Comparisons are unnecessary," my brain suggested again.

Approaching the gazebo, I saw that someone was already sitting in it with his back to me. I came closer:

"Excuse me, can I disturb you?" I started.

The man stood up and turned around.

"Why is it that wherever I go, you always get in my way?!" — I got angry.

"Please, do not go. Just sit next to me. You don't even need to talk to me, we can just be silent," he grabbed my hand.

I was confused, but I didn't pull my hand out. He looked straight at me with his dark chocolate eyes, and I knew I couldn't refuse him.