Chapter Fifteen

The wait is agonizing.

Niall and I sit in my family room not paying any attention to the blaring television. We didn’t see Jess for the rest of the day and we know she will post the video eventually.

“How is that ethical?” I had asked Niall as the large bodyguards were driving us home. “Who tapes something that private?”

“People looking to make quick money,” Niall had replied, putting his palm to his forehead and sighing despondently. “I’ve had to deal with lots of greedy paps; she’s probably no different.”

The rest of the ride home had been filled with a strained silence, neither of us wanting to voice our biggest worry.

Staring at the static on screen I think about what exactly my biggest concern would be if Jess released the video. There’s the obvious fact that millions of people will watch Niall and I face battling, a worry that I’m sure both of us share. But what reactions would everyone have?

The fans’ knickers will all be in a twist, I know that. Whether or not they’re happy Niall found a girlfriend, all hell will break loose on the inter-webs. How exactly the fans will react and if they approve, I cannot predict. I can only hope they don’t make too many embarrassing .gifs.

I guess my friends and the people at my school won’t be too surprised since Niall had been following me around all day and we’re known to be close. I’m not too worried about them. Same goes for my family and his family and friends.

The media? Oh, they’ll have a field day. Usually focusing on Harry’s sexy-time adventures and Zayn’s rumored cheating, they’ll probably find it refreshing to hear a scandalous story regarding Niall. The boys’ management could go either way, but they’re basically the media so I categorize them together.

And last but not least: the boys. Louis will be fine with it, I’m sure. He likes me and we get along great so I know I’m in the clear there. I haven’t really gotten to know Liam or Zayn much but they seem like they’d be pretty chill. I’m just worried that Harry will do something drastic if he sees the video. I mean, I told him I didn’t like Niall. While it was true at the time, I’ve still betrayed him. I feel like shit.

“Can you check again?” I ask Niall for the umpteenth time. Niall sighs and pulls his phone out of his pocket and opening his Twitter. I would check my own but there’s a better chance of him being notified than me.

“Nothing on my timeline,” he says, scrolling a bit more to make sure. I let out an interesting sigh, one filled with relief but also apprehension because I still don’t know when this video will come out. I log into my Twitter just to make sure.

There is nothing in my feed but the usual crap: dramatic edits of the boys in front of fountains, Larry analyses, too-in-depth explanation of how much period cramps hurt and so much more. I got directly to Jess’ profile and almost spit out my nonexistent tea when I read her most recent tweets. I read them through and then speak them aloud to Niall.

“You guys will never believe what happened at school today.”

“Okay so you guys remember that ginger Niall sang to at a concert?”

“Well she goes to my school. They’re friends. She brought him to school.”

“Let that first part sit in, my little niglets.”

“But then, I was walking to French class and I saw them next to a staircase. MAKING OUT.”

“I GOT A VIDEO. I GOT ONE. I HAVE IT. IT IS COMPLETELY REAL. I’LL POST IT IN A SEC.”

Each tweet had many retweets and replies from unbelieving fans. The most recent tweet was posted about two minutes ago. The video should be coming any moment. I wait about thirty seconds before refreshing the page and widening my eyes at her new post.