01

I wipe my tears with a Kleenex as I stare at the screen

I wipe my tears with a Kleenex as I stare at the screen. I still couldn't believe that I didn't land the quad axel. I mean I practiced so hard, day and night for hours on end and each time I landed it perfectly but once in front of that crowd.... It was like all the hard work and effort I put into my routine was ruined.

I never mess up my routines, at least not in front of others. I mean I've been doing this since I was seven. I'm nearly perfect at every move, even the ones that are new to me. On the first try I get them; I just make sure to perfect them by practicing over and over until I'm satisfied.

I lean back into the soft cushions of the loveseat and look down at my cast. I can't walk with this thing and my leg still hurts even with all the pain medicine they have given me.

This really sucks.

I place my head in my hands when I feel more tears surfacing. Why did this have to happen and to me?

Was I going too fast?

Was my judgment off?

Did I get too carried away?

I still don't know and that's what's bothering me.

My routine was perfect and from the view, so was my spin. I did everything right but when I landed all I felt was a sharp pain.

"Were my laces not tight enough?" I wipe my tears and rewind the video, watching my footwork carefully to see if I had did something that caused my accident but I come up with nothing which makes me toss my head back in frustration. I look up at the ceiling until my sight is clouded from more of my tears.

I haven't stopped crying since I got the news and that was three days ago.

It's going to take me six months to fully recover and the Olympics are just two weeks away. All I had to do was finish this round and I was destined to have a slot of my own. Now I have to wait four years to get that opportunity again.

I'm so distraught I don't know what to do other than cry but crying won't solve anything. All it'll do is give me a stuffy nose and puffy eyes topped off with a headache.

"You have to stop watching that sweetheart." I sniffle and lift my head then look over at my mother. She smiles and hands me two pills then my glass of tea. "I added honey instead of sugar how you like it." I thank her and take the warm cup of tea in my hands, letting the lavender aroma calm me just a little before I take a sip.

Not too sweet or too hot just how I like it.

I take the pills from my mother then wash them down. "I have have to see where I messed up." I tell her while I look back at the screen, rewinding the video once again. I then start to play the video in slow motion as I narrow my eyes. There has to be something that I'm overlooking, something went wrong and I have to figure out what.

"Faith," I whine and toss my head back when she takes the remote out of my hand. I look her way then back and my leg proped up on the coffee table. "I can't even move my toes." I try to wiggle then then wince at the pain shooting up my leg. "And these pain meds suck!" I don't know if my tolerance is too high or the dosage is too low but either way the pain has barely faded.