Essence of Combat

"What is the essence of combat, Cassie?"

<Plonk>

Cassie looked concerned at what she was hearing but began to think.

<Thonk>

"Vi-"

<Thunk>

"AGH!"

Cassie narrowed her unseeing eyes and reluctantly said:

"Um, Victory?"

Continuing her assault, Neph shook her head.

"No. The essence of combat is murder."

Cassie flinched as I was kneeling with a wooden sword against my neck.

"You are trying to kill your opponent, and stop your opponent from killing you. Nothing else matters except this. Unfortunately, Jesse just failed."

Cassie's eyes widened and she stuttered while saying:

"H- He's dead?!"

Neph froze and stammered to Cassie, who looked like she was about to die.

"Wait... no he is... he is fine. I mean he just..."

I snickered in pain as I heard Neph try to explain herself.

"I'm fine Cassie." she turned in the direction of my voice and let out a deep breath.

"I just failed in defending myself..."

Neph looked at me as if grateful and let me get up.

"Again?" I said while breathing heavily.

"Again." Neph said in confirmation.

'Alright. How should I try this time?'

While creating Clarity wasn't easy, I had been setting the foundation for it in my mind. Even during my nightmare, once I had killed the first larva. On my next target, I thought:

"What's the fastest and most efficient way of killing the thing in front of me? Accounting for this body?"

As it turned out, the way I came up with was caving its chest in with all of my body weight.

Thinking of that, I then whipped out of the way of a wooden blade that threatened to bruise my shoulder.

'Apparently clarity is not happening now!'

"Focus."

Neph was unrelenting in her assault, slashing her sword with refined elegance.

The academy had access to wooden weapons that represented most of the different types there were, so I tried to find one that fit the description of the azure blade the best. It wasn't guaranteed that I would get that, but the midnight shard was a sure shot considering it was necessary to get to the Soul Devouring Tree. 

Before thinking about all that though, I had to stop myself from getting murdered.

***

It was the day of the winter solstice. I felt unbelievably drowsy and wanted to slip back into bed.

But alas, I had to get up. My last luxurious dining for at least several months was upon me.

I walked down the hallway trapped in my thoughts, until I smelled that delicious aroma of breakfast.

Neph and Cassie were already at the table. Neph seemed to decide to get her helping of food, while Cassie was even more reclusive and melancholic than usual.

Knowing I was coming, Neph turned around and nodded at me.

I smiled and said:

"Good morning."

I put my hand on her shoulder and although she seemed startled by the action, she let it happen as she noticed the result.

She stared into the air in-front of her with growing intensity before looking back at me.

She studied me up and down before slightly tilting her head.

"It's a thank you. I really appreciate you and your help, I wanted to give you something I thought you would appreciate."

Memories: [Silver Bell], [Puppeteer's Shroud].

I had decided to give her the [Sabotaged Strength]. It was genuinely a thank you, as her training had already drastically improved my combat abilities, disregarding whether or not I had a sword.

It also served as an indication of me wanting her to survive.

"...I don't need payment." she said. She seemed kind of offended.

"It isn't a payment. It is a show of my thankfulness, or do you wanna give back my gift that badly?"

It seemed like that last part stopped her talking.

I leaned over and whispered in her ear, so nobody could hear. Unless some Sleeper had a hearing related aspect, but that was irrelevant.

"Good. It is a charm that empowers you for a short moment, and needs time in the soul sea to recharge."

Did I see a hint of red on her ear?

"Thank you. I... will use it well."

Cassie was not so subtly listening with interest.

***

I went and said my goodbyes to Teacher Julius, who gave me many more pointers before letting me go to battle with Fate.

After which, we took the trip to the Hollow Ones, and were led to the rooms where our pods were situated.

I looked at my shadow and said:

"Ready?"

It gave a thumbs-up of misguided confidence.

"That's the spirit!" although I said that, my voice wavered.

"Lets... go."

I stepped into the pod, and finally gave into the all consuming exhaustion.

[Welcome to the Dream Realm, Jesse!]