Thanking the Tree

Nephis was now stalking her way through the dark city. A disgusting creature of 6 tentacles and an imitated voice was passing her hiding spot.

'At least Fallen. Not worth it.'

She waited for Cassie to give her the clear on the other harrowing creature she couldn't see, and they continued on their journey.

Cassie had already absorbed her fair share of soul shards, added to the boon she received from the soul devouring tree, she was already well on her way to saturating her core.

Quiet Dancer was steadily eliminating what nightmare creatures it could, while Nephis quickly recovered the soul shards if it was viable.

It was a delicate, but rewarding balancing act.

Finally, they made it to the cathedral. It was tempting to just step inside and call out for Jesse, but Nephis knew better than to doubt his words. A Fallen Devil was not worth any trouble, in the sense that she didn't even wanna get a look if she didn't have to.

She looked down at the seed that was merged with her armor and did an uncharacteristic smile.

'He'll love this.'

***

I was leading them over the beam that led into the small room. I had to guide Cassie carefully, so she wouldn't fall over. She seemed terrified, which was fair.

I would be too if I was walking overhead a creature that commands true darkness while being blind.

We stepped into the small bedroom, and I smiled.

"Hey guys. How did the trip go?"

Neph grimaced and spoke.

"It went well enough, but it would've been better with you there." Cassie whispered in her ear and her cheeks became a bit red.

"I mean, because you would've helped us stay out of trouble."

I honestly wasn't sure if that answer was better for her but I smirked anyway.

"I'm sure I would've. I see you got a nice memory out of it."

"You... don't look surprised."

"What?? Noooooo I am. An Ascended Memory is incredible."

I was surprised, just not for the reason she thought. I was surprised because I saw a Memory I hadn't seen before in her hands. It looked like a torch, and it lit up as soon as it was summoned.

"Well... anyway. Take a look at this. Do you want to say what you think it does?" I was curious as well, and already peering into the weave. Cassie seemed to be squirming in some kind of excitement.

"I do. Hm, it looks like a passive enchantment to produce fire, and unfortunately, an active one that affects the ferocity of said fire if it is on or away from the torch."

As I was peering into the spell weave, the room started getting hotter, and it started shining brighter.

"You did it right Neph!?" Cas said with joy.

"What?"

A flood of what looked to be soul essence was flowing into the torch, bolstering the fire and illuminating the dark room.

"Where is it..." That essence was not powered by [The Fire] or the [Flame of Divinity]. It wasn't originating from Neph.

I followed it up the armor, which is what it was permeated in, and saw a steady flow of essence, being let out from a seed.

"The Oath's Ovule??" I was now thoroughly bewildered.

I looked up at Nephis' face, which now had a smug grin plastered onto it. I guess not even she was immune to joy after finding out she could use active enchantments as a sleeper.

"Yeah, it is amazing right! It can store soul shards, along with the essence of the creature for use at my discretion. Although it does deplete the essence at a greater rate."

Soul Storage was much more useful than I gave it credit for. Suddenly this Memory was much more valuable than it was before. It could change the tides...

"Hold on, have you tried it on yourself?" I said with excitement.

The look of pride on her face fractured. She looked away and said:

"I did. But it burned."

She reiterated and continued.

"My soul burned it. As if it was a virus that needed to be eliminated..."

Ah that was a shame. A dormant changing star that could use essence would've been a sight to behold during the siege.

"Do you... know how much you have left."

She squinted and spoke with a silent question.

"A lot, because we have slain many creatures on the way back and left it for the Ovule to hold."

"Can you... do something with it for me?"

"Sure."

I summoned a certain Memory. A stone armor settled on the ground, appearing decrepit and broken.

"Please permeate this with essence until I say stop."

She looked confused but went ahead.

Cassie looked curious and decided to ask.

"Can you tell me, what are you gonna use it for?" I grinned.

"Yes I can, I'm just using it to repair something faster."

Cassie looked satisfied with that response and smiled.

"Oh that is cool! There aren't a lot of memories that have functions that let you repair them faster."

I peered beneath the armor and squirmed in anticipation. Strings I thought would be snapped for a long time, were fixing themselves before my very eyes. The pattern slowly became discernable to my eyes, and before long, it was done.

The weave shone with blinding radiance now, with six beautiful anchors displaying its vast enchantment.

Nephis looked at the onyx armor in silent awe. A big uncontrollable smile broke out on my face, and an immense joy that wasn't my own filled my head as well.

"This is an Ascended armor of the sixth tier."

"It is a what?! I didn't hear that correctly, I know I didn't."

Cassie was in denial at this point.

"And now, I can use it for my plan! If you agree, of course." This changed a lot.

'That tree wasn't so bad after all! I'm so glad I burned it!'

Memory: [Mantle of the Underworld].

Memory Rank: Ascended.

Memory Tier: VI.

Memory Type: Armor.

Memory Description: [Vowing to never look upon the Goddess of the Black Skies again, the prideful demon retreated into the darkness beneath an unassailable mountain chain. He wasn't the first to lead his army against the gods. However, he was the first to shed their blood, as well as learn the secrets of his own.]

Memory Enchantments: [Living Stone], [Feather of Truth], [Stalwart], [Underworld Armament], [Prince of the Underworld].

Vanquished Foes: [1213/6000].