Chapter 2

"Mother- fluffing? Did you seriously just say that?" Jonah's brows knit together.

"My parents taught me not to cuss, so I never really picked up on it." And the words feel like poison in my mouth. Even thinking about them makes me want to spit in the nearest trash can.

I hand the yellow file to the brown hands I know too well. "Did you really beat True Pacifist nine times?" He asks me.

"I'm working on my tenth now."

We match strides on our way to the wooden door, talking about some upcoming party that I'm going to miss. Borderlands Two farming calls.

Jonah is about to lay his hand on the handle, but it's yanked open.

Our mouths may be open, but no words form as we watch Caspian stare at us like useless dogs. His body blocks the doorway leaving no escape, eyes pinning us down to our spots. No one speaks.

Grey eyes shift to me, and I resist a shiver. His eyes are barely blue yet they're frigid and icy. Despite my lack of a jacket, I feel the need to wrap my arms around myself to withstand the cold.

"Neptune." He speaks, voice gruff, almost like he's resisting a scream.

"Yes?" My lips attempt to smile, but I don't think it looks very good.

"Coffee. Martin?" His freeze ray gaze lands on Jonah. "Leave. My. Office."

Oof, somebody's emo today.

He moves so Jonah can step out with a nod, eyes dilated flashing back to me. I go to follow, but I'm blocked by an oncoming wall of man.

"What were you two talking about?" He lowers his chin down while mine has to go up.

"Something HR or marketing might do, but he's not sure." I try to fit into the small gap between him and the door, but he slumps against the doorframe, elbow coming up so he can lean.

He hums, but doesn't move. Our eyes lock as we stand still, time completely frozen. I can't back down. I'll never back down. The day I back down you can delete my favorite Maya file, the one with my 93 percent Sham.

His jaw locks, and he swallows. Blinking, he moves and lets me out of the suffocating room. I don't scurry out- in doing so, I would be showing I am affected. I am not. I place each step with care, heels clicking as I walk out of the room.

Take that, Aspen Dental.

He really is emo today. It's only ten in the morning and he's already yelled at three people, had seven cups of coffee, and stared at me nine times. And I mean stare. When Aspen Caspian stares at you, you feel it in your bones. All of a sudden you're cold and hot at the same time, your stomach churns and you know he's imagining shooting you in the back. Imagining locking a shock collar around your neck and saying "Tut, tut, tut, language."

I smile at the first scene where we really meet Handsome Jack. What's that saying? Don't pick a fight with a man who has nothing left to lose? I'm going to show you just how much you have left to lose, and I've got the most powerful siren in the world to-

"Neptune."

Already? I got him a new cup literally half a-

"You're mumbling is distracting."

"I was mumbling?" I shoot him a questioning look.

He nods, fingers folded into a bridge where he rests his chin. His favorite dark blue suit is tight around his arms, but somehow it still fits perfectly. I swear, he wears that suit thrice a week.