Chapter 5

Silverpaw padded into camp with a squirell and two mice dangling from her jaws.

"Good catch." said Blossomtail, "Do you want to come to the gathering tonight?"

"Yes please!" said Silverpaw, "What will happen?"

"Nothing much, it's a good chance to meet the other apprentices." Blossomtail told her, "Don't give away anything though."

"Okay."

"We're going to go battle train." said Dawnlight, "Do you want to come with us?"

"Sure!" said Silverpaw, "Can we go Blossomtail?"

"All right."

"Blazepaw and Snowpaw are coming as well." said Dawnlight, "If you're ready then let's go to the training clearing."

"Let's start." declared Cherryspirit, "Maplepaw and Silverpaw, fight!"

Maplepaw leaped at Silverpaw, Silverpaw dodged around her and raked a sheathed forepaw at her side. Maplepaw hissed and slipped under Silverpaw, Silverpaw pinned down her tail before she could escape. She pounced on Maplepaw, Maplepaw went limp. Silverpaw relaxed but Maplepaw jumped up and slashed Silverpaw's face with unsheathed claws. What is she doing? We're meant to train with claws sheathed! Should I unsheath my claws too?

"Keep your claws sheathed!" ordered Dawnlight.

Maplepaw ignored her and slashed another paw at Silverpaw's shoulder. She's doing it on purpose!

Silverpaw lunged at Maplepaw and raked her flank. As Maplepaw leaped for her, Silverpaw slid under her and slashed her exposed stomach. Maplepaw charged towards her again and Silverpaw dodged and leaped onto her pinning her down. Maplepaw struggled but couldn't throw her off.

"Stop!" yowled Dawnlight.

Maplepaw took the opotunity to flip her around so Silverpaw was pinned down. Silverpaw bit her forepaw and slashed her belly with her hind paws.

Dawnlight and Blossomtail pulled them away from eachother.

"You're meant keep your claws sheathed." said Blossomtail sternly. "Are you badly hurt?"

Silverpaw shook her, she was bleeding from the scratches on her shoulder and on the side of her face but none of them were deep.

Maplepaw's wounds were still dripping blood and she left a trail of blood behind them as their mentors took them back to camp.

"What happened to you 2?" asked Lilypool as they entered the medicine cat den.

"Battle training." sighed Dawnlight.

"I suppose you should stay at camp tonight." said Lilypool inspecting Maplepaw's scratches, "Maybe Silverpaw could go though, her injuries aren't seriously."

"Are you ready?!" asked Snowpaw once Silverpaw had left the medicine den, "We're leaing soon."

"Yes." said Silverpaw, "Maplepaw can't go though." And its her own fault since unsheathing her claws first!

"Great then let's go!" said Blazepaw.

Hollystar lead them to the ravine which divided Hollyclan and Ivyclan. 

The warriors slowly clambered down into the ravine. Silverpaw realised that the cliff had several small ledges so the cats could use them to get down.

"Ivyclan is already here." said Blazepaw.

Hollystar climbed up a tumble of fallen rock up to a ledge halfway between the ground and the top. A black cat soon joined her. A hushed silence fell.

"What are you doing here Nightwhisker?" asked Hollystar coldly. Nightwhisker???? Wasn't he the one that killed Rosekit? Silverpaw realised he was the same cat she had met when she had strayed into Ivyclan territory all those moons ago.

"Ivystar is dead." answered Nightwhisker, "I'm the leader now, and you should refer to me as Nightstar."

"Nightstar! Nightstar!"

Silverpaw realised most of the Hollyclan cats were glaring at Nightstar and remaining silent.

"The new deputy is Honeycloud."

"Honeycloud! Honeycloud!"

"We have 2 new apprentices. Cherrypaw with Flowerlight as her mentor and Dapplepaw with Starshine as her mentor."

"Cherrypaw! Dapplepaw!"

Hollystar waited for the cheers to die down and stepped forward.

"Prey is plentiful and we have 4 new apprentices, Silverpaw, Maplepaw, Blazepaw, and Snowpaw. Their mentors are Blossomtail, Cherryspirit, Hawkshadow, and Dawnlight."

"Silverpaw! Maplepaw! Blazepaw! Snowpaw!"

Nightstar narrowed his eyes at Silverpaw and Maplepaw. Is he remember how he killed our littermate?

"If you have nothing else to say, then this gathering is dismissed." said Nightstar.

"Very well." said Hollystar.

"Oh, one more thing." said Nightstar. "Ivyclan, attack!"

Blossomtail whirled to Silverpaw, "Go get back up!"

Silverpaw hesitated, "Go!" hissed Blossomtail.

Silverpaw dodged around the battling cats and started climbing back up the ravine.

"Get her!" screached Nightstar.

Several Ivyclan cats chased after her.

Silverpaw reached the top and raced into the forest. She could hear the sound of Ivyclan cat chasing her but she diddn't dare look back.

Eventually the Ivyclan cats gave up and went back to the battle.

Silverpaw saw the familiar path that most warriors took to get back to camp, she burst into camp, "Ivyclan attacked!"