Prologue.

Gifted kid burnout - when a child labeled as "gifted" begins to underachieve and grow exhausted due to long-term stress and unrealistic expectations.

Ever since she was young, she felt unwanted and unloved. Her parents gave her up when she was young, and she was moved from foster home to foster home until the Bartons- her adoptive parents- adopted her. Despite knowing that they loved her, she would never be their daughter, not by blood. To try and distract herself from the feelings she buried her nose in her school work; a distraction that worked too well, it eventually became an obsession.

Ever since the 1st grade, she was the gifted kid; she put her hand up in class consistently was always one to finish her homework, and never missed deadlines. She was determined to do well, get the validation she craved, and be the perfect student; the one all the teachers loved.

She hoped by doing well in school, her parents would pay more attention to her, but she turned out to be wrong. Her younger siblings were the favourites, they got all the attention, and she was left in the shadows. She was fine up until high school, as the work got harder and a lack of satisfaction with her tests grew; she felt like she always needed to get 100% or it was worthless. She wanted to make her parents proud, but the pressure built up on her shoulders eventually overwhelmed her.

She needed someone - a confidant, someone who would just get her - and in Peter she found what she had been desperately seeking. Peter was the stereotypical nerdy guy, but that was precisely what she found herself drawn to. While her parents were consumed with their new baby and her siblings with their own lives, it was Peter who understood her, who was proud of her just for being herself, and who made her feel seen in a way no one else could.

A/N -

She's so me, which is why I've decided to write her like this. I know Clint would never but his character will develop as the story does. Also, this story may be a bit boring at first, but it will get better. I hope you guys end up loving Emilia as much as I do.