Chapter Four: Desperate Measures

"Morning, Hermione," Ginny yawned and peered over the girl curled up like a cat on her floor.

Unlike Ginny, who was in a nightgown and waking from the covers, Hermione was curled around the pages of notes, her head propped on an open book and she still had a quill propped in her right hand. Too early to study, Ginny wondered if this had anything to do with the meetings she had with Harry and her brother.

Ginny always wished she had an older sister, but Hermione so often needed Ginny to advocate for her. She imagined Hermione's childhood wasn't a happy one, and a desperate wish for a sister probably didn't need to be thrust on her older friend. Though, with how little time Hermione spent with her, Ginny wondered if she even saw her as a friend.

"Oh!" Hermione scrambled, ordering her mountain of parchment before shoving it unceremoniously in her bag. "Sorry, I–erm–hope I didn't make too much of a mess. How'd you sleep, Ginny?"

"I reckon better than you!" Ginny joined Hermione on the makeshift bed. "What is all this stuff?"

Hermione stretched and smiled. "Just trying to figure which classes to take. I got all twelve OWLs, and I don't know if I can cram it all in again. Especially not on pre-NEWT levels."

Ginny doubted that. For someone who hated secrets and lies as much as Hermione did, she sure had a lot of them. She wondered if she understood how hypocritical she was being.

Ginny wished in part that she'd been able to invite Luna over as well, but knew if that happened, Luna and Hermione would ice her out, without evening meaning to.

A whole year had passed now, and Ginny was finally starting to feel like she had control of her life again. But she didn't know what she was living for. Harry had no idea she existed, the boys and girls in her year might have flocked to her, but she couldn't relate to them. She thought she had a best friend in Hermione, but she treated her like a kid, meanwhile letting Luna in.Ginny's brothers similarly saw a child when they looked at her. The only peace she knew was in the air, and she couldn't excel there without Ron's ire.

"You don't believe me, do you?" Hermione clasped her hands.

"Erm—" Ginny debated her options at that question.

"I-it's–" Hermione shook her head and sighed. "You're right, Ginny. I-it's just not my place to tell anyone. I'm sorry."

Ginny turned away. "It's for Harry, isn't it?"

Harry relied on Hermione for everything. How long had she been his secret keeper? Why couldn't Ginny get that level of trust from him? She might not have been as smart or obsessive as Hermione, but Ginny knew she was an incredibly talented witch with more than decent grades. And unlike Hermione, Ginny knew how to stand up for herself.

"I told you, I–erm—I can't really talk about it," Hermione dug her nails into her hands. "I-I'm sorry."

"Whatever," Ginny rolled her eyes. "I should get dressed."

Ginny opened her wardrobe to hanging hand-me-downs from her brothers, a couple sundresses and a few shirts her mum had tailored from her own wardrobe to fit the tiny girl better. She mulled over them, debating between looking pretty for Harry, and wearing something she could fly with.

She turned back to see what Hermione was wearing to help inform her choice.

The older girl struggled to button the first blouse she tried on, prompting Ginny to look down at her embarrassingly flat chest. She was only eleven months older than her, that wasn't fair!

Hermione rolled her eyes and opted for a sailor uniform.

The dress. Ginny took the plaid gingham from her closet and began to undress when her mum barged in.