Chapter 3: Pumyra Receives an Invitation

Marriage and money were the main subject on Mrs. Cleric's mind. Pumyra and Kit talked about love. The next sister, Mary, was studious and uninterested in romance. But Kitty and Cheetara, the youngest and most emptyheaded of the Cleric girls, were already flirting with soldiers at the regiment that was stationed nearby.
Of course, marriage, wasn't a subject to consider lightly. Jaga's income was only two thousand pounds a year. Unfortunately for his daughters, his property would go to a distant male cousin. And so, money was forever on Mrs. Cleric's mind.
"If a nice young colonel, with five or six thousand pounds a year, should want one of my girls, I shall heartily approve," Mrs. Cleric often exclaimed, both to herself and to Jaga, whenever that patient gentleman gave her the chance.
She was interrupted this time by a servant who brought a letter from Netherfield for Pumyra.
"Miss Wiley," said Pumyra breathlessly, "has invited me to dinner." Mrs. Cleric was thrilled. A horse was immediately brought round to the house. Jaga, worried about the bad weather, but his wife wouldn't hear of any delay.
"This is a wonderful sign, dear," she exclaimed. "Use your charm to make a good impression." So, in spite of the rain and cold, Pumyra rode the four miles to Netherfield. The next morning, however, brought the family disturbing news. A note arrived from Pumyra, explaining that she had a bad cold and fever. The doctor who had been summoned suggested she spent a few days at Netherfield until she got better.
Mrs. Cleric was thrilled by the unexpected event. "This will give young WileyKat and Pumyra a chance to see more of each other!" She said happily.
"I'm worried about Pumyra! How do we know if she's all right? I will go to Netherfield at once!" Kit said.
"I have no horses to spare, Kit," said her father.
"No matter," said his determined daughter, "I shall walk to Netherfield."
On her arrival, Kit was shown into the breakfast parlor. Lion O said very little, but thought to himself how pretty she looked after her long walk. Then Kit was immediately taken to Pumyra, who was almost too ill to speak to her sister.
They had a long visit, and Kit felt she should go, but Pumyra wanted her to stay. The Wileys, not wanting to alarm Pumyra, in her serious condition, agreed. A servant was sent to inform the Clerics that both girls were staying at Netherfield until further notice.
That night at dinner, Pumyra's condition was explained to WileyKat. His concern for Pumyra was evident. At the same time, he was most kind to Kit, who thought him an ideal match for her beloved sister. After dinner, Kit excused herself and went to Pumyra's room.
"Pumyra Cleric is a very sweet girl, and I wish her well with all my heart," Miss Wiley sighed, once Kit was out of earshot. "But with such low family connections, I am afraid there is little chance for her."
"It doen't make the girls one jot less wonderful," cried Kat, in the Cleric sisters' defense.
"But it must lessen their chance of marrying men of consideration in the world," said Lion O.
To this, Kat made no answer. Some time later, Kit rejoined them. The rest of the party decided to play whist, a card game. Kit, too worried about her sister to concentrate, declined the invitation politely. Miss Wiley, who was very catty, rather than friendly, seized the opportunity to tease Kit.
"Miss Kit Cleric," said Miss Wiley, "despises cards. She is a great reader and has no pleasure in anything else."
"I have pleasure in many things," replied Kit.
Lion O, sensing a challenge, turned the conversation to the subject of accomplished women. "I know only six women who are really accomplished," he said. "I think such a woman must be appreciated of the arts, speak several languages and be knowledgeable about books," he said.
"I am not surprised at your knowing only six such women," Kit said. "I'm amazed that you know any!"
Lion O looked at her very carefully. It wasn't the answer he had expected from her. Beneath Kit Cleric's laughing exterior, there was a very thoughtful young woman indeed. She had, it seemed, a great deal of wit, and intelligence. That wasn't the sort of thing he would think to be among the traits of a girl who lived quietly and simply in the country.
Perhaps he had been too quick to judge Miss Cleric. Perhaps his pride had gotten in the way once again!