Chapter 4: Lion O and Kit

The next morning, Mrs. Cleric was summoned to Netherfield. Pumyra was still very ill and it was decided that she shouldn't return home in her present state. Satisfied that the illness wasn't dangerous, Mrs. Cleric had no wish to take her away from Netherfield.
"I'm sure," she said, "if it wasn't for such good friends I don't know what would have become of her. She has the sweetest disposition. I tell my other girls that they are nothing compared to her."
Mrs. Cleric repeated her thanks to WileyKat for his many kindnesses to Pumyra. Cheetara, who had accompanied her mother to Netherfield, reminded WileyKat of his promise to hold a ball. "Once Pumyra is well enough to attend, I will see to the ball personally," he promised. Delighted with his good spirits and the promise of Pumyra's recovery, Mrs. Cleric and Cheetara soon left.
Kit returned to Pumyra's room. Once she was gone, the two Wiley sisters resumed their gossip. This time, however, Lion O refused to listen to any criticism of Kit Cleric.
"Am I falling in love with her?" He asked himself.
He wasn't the only one who noticed the change in the air. That evening, Kit sensed how often Lion O's eyes followed her. She couldn't imagine why, since she thought that he quite disliked her.
"Would you care to dance a reel?" He asked all of a sudden.
"I know you want me to say 'yes', so you could criticize my taste in music, but I delight in overthrowing those kind of schemes. I don't want to dance a reel," she cried. "So hate me if you dare!"
"I don't dare," said Lion O politely.
Kit was amazed at his gallantry, since she had so clearly snubbed him. Lion O didn't care. He had never before been so bewitched by any woman.
Pumyra was soon well enough to join the others downstairs. Kat was full of joy and attentive to her every want and need. Kit saw it all with great delight. Lion O saw only Kit, and anxious to speak with her alone, engaged her in a lively conversation about pride and temperament.
"I can't forget the faults of others as quickly as I should," he admitted. "My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever."
"That is a fault!" Cried Kit. "I can't laugh at you. You are in no danger from me."
"No one is perfect. There is in everyone some particular character flow," he baited her.
"If so, I'd say that your particular defect is a desire to hate everybody," Kit said lightly.
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is to misunderstand them."
Kit laughed and rejoined the others.
Lion O, after a few moments, thought he might be in another kind of danger — paying Kit too much attention!