29 | Nicknames

21 BBY, Month 8

What was wrong with him? Joseta kicked the crate in the hull of her ship, running her hand through her hair

What was wrong with him? Joseta kicked the crate in the hull of her ship, running her hand through her hair. What had happened to the sweet, smart, and uptight-but-in-a-cute-way Rex? He was like a dartlebriffging Mythosaur. Extinct. And replaced with a freaking nerf-killing jangobeast.

"Miss Dr. Sergeant Pro'oz, sir—ma'am?" Giggles' modulated voice asked from behind her.

Sighing, she turned to face him, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Mr. Soldier Crest, ma'am sir?"

Giggles rubbed the back of his neck, his black helmeted face tilting. "I can't help but notice that you're upset..."

Joseta placed her hands on her hips. "What gave it away?"

"Well, all the huffing and kick-boxing the boxes." Giggles paused. "You were being sarcastic, weren't you?"

Joseta ran her fingers through her bangs, making them stand in awkward angles. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be crass with you." She nodded to him, blowing her bangs back in place. "You're getting faster at noticing sarcasm, though."

"Thanks," Giggles said, offering two thumbs up. He walked over to the crate that Joseta had just been "kick-boxing" as he said, and sat upon it, pulling one leg in front of him. "So, what's your deal?"

She shook her head. "Rex is...different."

Giggles sighed, nodding. "Yeah, he seems a bit more—"

"Uptight," they both said at the same time.

Joseta laughed. "Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so."

"I'm sure he is just awkward—" Giggles looked at his hands. "I barely served under him, but from what I gathered, he is a great leader, but can be a bit socially awkward." He paused, nudging her. "Especially around good-looking girls." He froze, waving his hands around. "Not that I think of you that way—I mean, you're pretty, but like I don't see you like that—you're like a sister! Or the cool aunt or something."

Joseta guffawed. "I think socially awkward runs in the family." She elbowed him as she leaned on the crate beside him. "But I get you. I sometimes just don't know what to do when talking to people." She laughed to herself, remembering her days in school. "I would often say something awkward and instead of just moving on, I'd try to explain myself or do something even weirder. It made me feel better in the moment, but looking back it's just cringier."

Giggles just nodded. "So, how long before we go to the next mission."

"I think I want to go home," Joseta said, crossing her arms as she watched people down the ramp move around the hangar. "I want to see Alann."

Giggles pumped his fist. "Let's go! I miss lil Lanny."

"Be careful, a Jedi General goes by that name, too," Joseta said, sending him a friendly wink.