Kicked

Chapter 7 - Kicked

"See you all tomorrow," I bid farewell to my new friends in the basement.

As I prepared to leave, Jesse offered, "It's dark outside, do you want one of us to drive you home?"

"I'm just a block away," I replied, flashing a smile. "I can find my own way out."

Glancing back at them one last time, I saw them deep in conversation about their rehearsal. I knew my presence was no longer necessary, and the thought of my parents worrying about my whereabouts began to nag at me.

Trent lounged on the couch, casually rolling a joint and watching me intently. I knew I had to suppress any feelings I had for him; after all, he and Monique were an item, and she was quickly becoming my closest friend.

Exiting the Lane residence, a smile crept onto my face. The day had been wild, and I couldn't believe how daring I had been. But it had brought me joy, a rare feeling lately.

"Hey," Jesse called out, running after me and catching up in the front yard.

Surprised, I turned to him, "Yeah?"

"Can I walk you home?" he asked, offering a faint smile.

His offer surprised me, but a warm rush of gratitude washed over me. I nodded, returning his smile. "That'd be nice," I admitted, and we began the short walk to my house.

The night was quiet around us, the only noise the occasional distant bark of a dog or the faint hum of traffic from a few streets over. Jesse's presence beside me was comforting, a steady beacon in the darkness.

Jesse's voice broke the silence as we walked. "I wanted to ask you something, Mal," he said, his gaze fixed straight ahead.

I glanced over at Jesse, the faint glow of a nearby streetlight casting a soft halo around him. His expression was serious, his eyes fixed on the path ahead as if he was gathering his thoughts.

"What is it?" I asked, a hint of curiosity lacing my voice as we continued to walk side by side.

Jesse took a deep breath, his words measured. "I've been thinking... about us," he began, his tone a mix of hesitance and determination.

My heart skipped a beat at his words, uncertainty fluttering in my chest. "About us?" I echoed, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Will you go to prom with me?" Jesse halted in his tracks, locking eyes with me as he asked the question. His direct question caught me off guard, causing my heart to race in my chest. I glanced at him, my surprise evident in my wide eyes.

"Prom?" I echoed, my mind spinning. We were already going with our friends, but since Trent and Monique were going together this felt kinda right. I liked Trent a lot, but Jesse seemed really great too, he had such kind eyes.

"Yes, prom," Jesse confirmed, his gaze never leaving mine. "I know it's a bit sudden and we haven't known each other long, but... I really like you, Mal. And I think we'd have a great time together."

His words hung in the air between us, filling the night with a new sense of possibility.

I looked at Jesse, taking in his hopeful expression. "Jesse," I began, my voice steady despite the flurry of emotions inside me. "I'd love to go to prom with you."

Jesse's face broke into a wide grin, relief flooding his features. "Really?" he asked, his voice filled with disbelief.

I nodded, a smile spreading across my face. "Yes, really. I think it'll be a lot of fun."

Jesse let out a breath he seemed to have been holding, his shoulders relaxing. "I'm really glad to hear that, Mal. I was worried you'd say no."

"I couldn't say no to you, Jesse," I replied, my voice soft. His smile widened at my words, and I could see the happiness in his eyes.