30

"So you are going to be gone all weekend?" My mom asks me, closing the dishwasher.

"Yep," I tell her.

She sighs, shaking her head a little.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"It's just," she leans on the counter and looks at me.

"I don't know about you hanging out with those girls. I mean, I know they were your best friends when you were younger, but-"

"It's okay, mom," I tell her, "It's not like I'm imagining them being bridesmaids at my wedding one day."

"But you did," my mom says, "You used to. And you used to imagine one of them being the other bride."

Ouch. That hurt a little.

"You make a good point," I tell her, "But seriously, we're just rekindling our friendship because we have fun hanging out together. Why not let ourselves hang out together if we like to?"

"As long as you have your guard up," my mom says, putting her hands up in defense.

"And just remember it's okay to forgive, but don't forget," she adds.

"I know," I tell her, heaving my bag over my shoulder, "See you Monday."

"I love you," she tells me.

"Love you," I say back, heading for the door.

~~~~~~~~~~

The whole group of us are going on a weekend get away to the city. We're going to see a musical, and we're going shopping of course, and whatever else we feel like doing. We also may or may not find a club or bar to go to.

We have a nice big hotel booked that can fit all six of us. It should be a nice trip.

Me, Liv, Paige and Hannah all carpool together in Hannah's mom's suv. She's driving. I'm terrified.

I don't see how her mom trusts her to drive anything, let alone this nice vehicle on a long road trip.

You would think she would have learned to drive a bit better since high school, but no. Her driving skills  have not improved by any means. It's like she just got her permit.

"God," Liv exhales when get to a red light and Hannah slams on the breaks, making all of us fall forward.

"Seriously, I can drive if you let me," Paige tells her.

"I'm literally doing fine, I don't know what you guys are going on about," Hannah says.

She's delusional.

"You know who is a reckless driver?" She asks.

"Worse than you?" Liv asks.

I slap her arm and give her a look.

"Gabbie," Hannah states, ignoring Liv's comment.

What? Has she been hanging out with her or something?

"You still hanging out with Gabbie?" Paige asks her.

Hannah goes quiet for a second, probably realizing she just outed herself.

"I mean, yeah," she shrugs, "We hang out sometimes."

"Speed up," Liv tells her, not caring about the topic at hand, "You're going fifty in a sixty."

Hannah suddenly slams the gas, making the rest of us gasp and hold on for dear life.

"Gabbie just got her license back," she tells us, "It was suspended for a while."