10

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
10 ── ❝ self destruction ❞

❝  My first instinct was to make sure he wouldn't bother you or Topper again  ❞    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

❝ My first instinct was to make sure he
wouldn't bother you or Topper again  ❞
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Colette stood at Sarah's door, taking a deep breath before letting out a big sigh. All she wanted to do was bail back to the car and tell Arthur to drive her home, but Bianca Drake was on her ass about delivering these pastry baskets. Dealing with Sarah was the last thing Colette needed on top of being grounded and Nicolas constantly rubbing it in.

After two knocks it didn't take long for someone to answer the door.

"Hey Colette," Ward Cameron greeted her warmly, holding the door open with a wide grin on his face.

Colette flashed a polite but slightly forced smile, holding out the pastry basket. "Hi, Mr. Cameron. Just these," she said, her eyes darting behind him.

"Oh, wow—thank you," Mr. Cameron exclaimed, taking the basket. "I thought your father was going to send Nicolas over, but that's fine." He motioned for Colette to come inside.

Her brows knit together in confusion. "What?" she asked, her voice laced with subtle skepticism.

Mr. Cameron raised an eyebrow. "Your father didn't send you over...?"

Colette shook her head, her expression one of mild curiosity. "No? Did you need something?"

He chuckled softly. "Ah... no," he replied casually, pausing for effect before continuing, "actually, yes. Your father needed something, so would you mind taking it back to your place?"

Colette's mind raced, her demeanor effortlessly composed. "Oh—of course," she replied smoothly, brushing past Mr. Cameron and making her way into the house. As she walked towards the kitchen, she glanced around discreetly.

"I'll go grab the binder," he chimed before disappearing around the corner of the staircase.

Colette nodded in acknowledgment, her smile lingering as she leaned casually against the kitchen counter. Maybe this wasn't that bad to come over , Sarah could at least hear her out ?

"Hey, Dad—" The sudden voice jolted Colette, causing her to clench her teeth and spin around abruptly.

Colette pursed her lips, momentarily caught off guard before composing herself and gesturing towards the pastry basket. "Hey... I, uh, brought pastries," she breathed out, her tone slightly strained.

Sarah's Adam's apple bobbed as her brows furrowed, avoiding direct eye contact with Colette. "Yeah..." She paused briefly, her gaze flicking to her phone before quickly turning back, the air thick with unspoken tension.

Colette mentally slapped herself , either it was make up now or Sarahs just gonna wait until she striked first.

"Sarah," Colette paced around the kitchen table trying to follow after her.

Sarah paused, her expression guarded as she turned to face Colette. "What?" Her tone was tinged with irritation.

Colette took a deep breath, summoning her resolve. "Can we please talk?" she asked, her voice laced with vulnerability " Im worried about us."

"About our friendship or how John B doesn't know where his next meal is coming from?" Sarah raised her brows , crossing her arms.

Colette frowned "I did that to protect you , I didn't think properly... " She stammered slightly.

Sarah sighed, her eyes flitting around the room in search of understanding. "I needed you to trust me. When I told you about what happened, your first instinct was to run off and tell my dad."

Colette's gaze softened, a flicker of remorse crossing her features. "My first instinct was to make sure he wouldn't bother you or Topper again," she responded, her voice quiet. "If I could take it back I would." She breathed , shaking her head lightly searching for some sort of indication from Sarah.

Sarah pursed her lips, hesitating for a moment. She had experienced firsthand the cyclical pattern of destruction and forgiveness that seemed to define her relationship with Colette. Deep down, Sarah understood that it wasn't entirely Colette's fault — she knew the one under the surface , that was so much more than what Colette was labelled or saw herself as.

"Can we just start fresh, no lies, no going behind each other's back?" Sarah's voice held a blend of vulnerability and determination , her gaze fixed on Colette with unwavering intent.

Colette's breath seemed to release in a sigh of relief, her shoulders easing as she absorbed Sarah's words. "That's all I wanted," she replied softly, her eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude.

A smile crossed both of their features before Ward descended the stairs with a smirk playing on his lips. "Here, finally found it... it was in the safe," he chuckled, his footsteps echoing as he circled down the staircase.

Colette composed herself, her features settling into a neutral expression. "Thank you, I'll make sure to give it to him," she responded calmly , holding onto the binder.

A small smile tugged at the corners of Sarah's lips, causing Colette to suppress her own grin behind a composed facade. "See you tomorrow, okay?" Sarah remarked with a light chuckle.

"Okay," Colette replied, a hint of amusement glinting in her eyes.

As they exchanged parting words, Ward's voice echoed from the hallway. "Tell Bianca I appreciate the pastries!" he called out, a touch of joviality in his tone.

AUTHOR NOTES.
This chapters a bit boring but i promise exciting stuff soonnnn
also thank u for 5k reads you guys i love love love you all