Chapter Eighteen

"Lando, I thought I told you to stop calling me."
Cassie sighed down the phone at him. He could almost feel her rolling her eyes at him.

"Please Cassie. I need to talk to her." He begged. "I know you said I needed to give her some time and I've tried but I just need to explain, it's not what it looks like." He was pacing around in his drivers room like a caged animal with all the pent up frustration. He'd been determined to put it to one side and speak to her after the race was done but he couldn't get his head in the game with this hanging between them.

"She doesn't want to talk to you." Cassie repeated.

"I take it she's not planning to come to the race then?" He asked quietly. He'd known this would probably be the case. Why would she fly halfway across the world to come and support him after what she thought he'd done. But he'd still had a little bit of hope.

Cassie was quiet for a moment. "Look, Lando." She sighed. "I don't know if I should be telling you this, but the charity event we went to last night. She went home with Joe."

"As in her ex Joe?" He asked in quiet disbelief.

"They're like magnets those two, they always find their way back to one another in end. I've been watching them do it for years. I'm sorry you got yourself caught up in the middle of it, but this is just what they do."

"Can you just ask her to call me?" He pleaded, unable to accept that she'd done this without so much as hearing him out.

"I'll try, but Lando, she loves Joe. I know you two had some fun together but-"

"Goodbye, Cassie." He hung up not wanting to hear the rest of it.

"Who was that?" Hannah asked walking into the room as Cassie hung up the phone.

"No one, shall we go?" Cassie replied, shoving the phone back into her pocket.

****

Another four weeks passed by of absolute radio silence from Hannah. He tried his absolute best to keep his mind on racing and do his best for the team, and it was okay while he was busy but laying alone at night in his hotel room his mind would wander, thinking how could he persuade her to hear him out.

His thoughts had taken another turn though, after Cassie's revelation that Hannah had apparently spent the night with her ex. He knew deep down she wasn't over what had happened with Joe, she'd said as much so many times and you could hear it in the music she'd written, but somehow he'd had this belief that she was happy with the two of them and wouldn't go back to Joe.

How was it possible that he loved her and she'd just been biding her time waiting for Joe to come back?

Despite it being nearly two in the morning he couldn't sleep, tossing and turning in his bed before picking up his phone to scroll through TikTok and Instagram for a bit instead. A regular habit these days.

He wasn't really sure what he was looking for. Perhaps a photo of Hannah and Joe together to confirm what Cassie had told him, that they were back together now, but there weren't any.

Everything was just left hanging, she wouldn't give him the chance to explain himself. He'd tried calling her a couple more times but it went straight to voicemail. Cassie had told him in no uncertain terms that he shouldn't expect a call back from Hannah and he needed to move on.

Except he couldn't.

HannahSuttonOfficial